View Single Post
Old 06-29-2004, 01:47 PM   #61
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Whether it's B.S. or not, our culture tends to view males as more predatory, and women more helpless/submissive. The basic assumption in both cases then becomes:

The guy wanted it and got it ("and is lucky as hell!" yells the male chorus)
The girl was taken advantage of by the male teacher.

Honestly, I think it's generally fairly easy to hear the details of a case and discern the absolute willingness (and comprehension of their actions) of those involved.
But if he's underaged, it shouldn't matter if he "wanted it" or not. Of course he wanted it! We all wanted it at that age. Legally, though, he was incapable of consenting.

Now, all of the above being said, from my experience with teenagers and young adult volunteers, it is completely possible that while legally she is 100% responsible, that she is no more emotionally mature than he is. From everything I've observed and also read from developmental experts, emotional adulthood is happening later and later. I read fairly recently that the average age of true emotional adulthood may be as high as 25 these days.