View Single Post
Old 11-03-2015, 04:23 PM   #119
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBlurton View Post
That's awesome - thanks for sharing!
Love the 'magic line'...list comprehensions were definitely an "ah-ha" moment for me.

Did you end up going with pickle for storing your stats?

I've been playing with JSON for my project.

I started by using .csv files to read and write my data but it was taking a full minute in some cases (which could have been due to extremely poor implementation on my part). I decided to try JSON, thinking it wouldn't make much difference, but it went from a minute to a second to complete the operation without changing anything else about the approach.

Thanks for the model view link! And for being so open about your process in general, learning a lot! Always been shy about posting but considering posting some status updates of my project as a way to keep myself honest.

Please do post, I would definitely be interested in reading your progress too!

I'm using pickle now, but I'm not sure how well it's going to scale up. A pickled object of historical stats for example could end up being quite a big object and take awhile to load when needed, so I've made it easy to change this down the line if I feel I need to go a different way down the line.

I use JSON for storing all my 'settings' data. Originally I used it for everything but having to convert the type of loaded JSON from strings to other types was a bit of a pain... There are ways to handle this, but for now I've opted for pickle. I see the advantages to SQL databases and did spend a bit of time reading up on them - managing my own 'foreign keys' to link dictionaries together in particular feels like it might get out of hand pretty easily.