View Single Post
Old 11-03-2015, 05:21 PM   #120
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Couple thoughts if you are interested (and if you are not, let me know, what you're doing and sharing here is awesome, I don't want to potentially bog you down over anything that you're satisifed with)

If you are using the raw_stats dictionary in a lot of places othern than this one display screen, did you consider creating a class for it instead of using the string dictionary? Being able to refer to raw_stats.GP instead of remebering that games played is in index[0] could make the data a lot esier to work with.

Alternatively, if the dictionary is the best way to go, what about an enumeration so that you don't have to refer to the index numbers in hard coded fashion every time you touch the stats. Something that sets Stats.GP = 0, Stats.GS = 1, Stats.MINS = 2, etc. If you decide you want to change the layout of things down the road, or change the order, or alter the data based on the addition of some new advanced stats calculation, then you only have to change it in one place instead of many.

I should point out I don't use Python, just generic programming thoughts. May or may not be relevant to the exact way you're doing things

Keep it up, this is an awesome read and its great to see the progress you've made.

Appreciate the tip, and I agree that that's a really good idea!

My current coding process is:

1) Try to think how something could work.
2) type away madly.
3) test through trial-and-error until I get it to work.
4) Completely rewrite/refine it from scratch to match the structure of everything else.

Right now I'm on step #4 with stats, and I'm going to do exactly what you propose.