View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007, 02:35 PM   #418
molson
General Manager

THE STARS OF WORLD CLASS ON TOUR
Monday, Week 4, March 1984
Rochester, MN (Very Small Venue - Midwest)
Expected Attendance: 1,717 Ticket prices: $1 more than default
Actual Attendance: 1,511

-It's been a little bit since the last update. The 1-year mark of the dynasty is upon us, and I'm planning a pretty big recap - mostly for my own reference purposes. So I've been putting that off somewhat, but now that DaddyTorgo has killed me off in WW, I hope to get in a few shows this weekend.

-The dynasty is alive and well, and I have quite a few long-term programs in mind.

-Pre-Show Dark Match
Ricky Morton defeats Al Perez in 4:45 by pinfall. (C)

-Pre-Show Dark Match
Tommy Rodgers defeats Nikita Koloff in 4:53 by countout. (D+). Koloff was in control of the match, when his manager Boris Malenko lit his "victory cigar". Ricky Morton quickly showed up from the back, and punched Malenko in the head, making him drop the cigar. (C-) Koloff left the ring to check on Malenko, allowing Rodgers to win the match via countout. Morton grabbed a mic away from Lance Russell, who was sitting at ringside, and explained that Rodgers is a friend of his, and he's tired of the "bush league" cigar shtick. He also references his match with Koloff from a few weeks ago. Malenko and Koloff come over to confront him - the three men argue, and Russell does his best to keep them apart. (C-)

-As the main show starts, David, Kerry, and Kevin Von Erich come to the ring to hype their 6-man tag team title defense tonight against Backlund, Hayes, and Garvin. They claim that as brothers, they've never been stronger or closer. They also doubt that Backlund can get along with Hayes, after the events between them the last few weeks. (C)

-Tiger Mask defeats Villano IV in 12:48 by pinfall. (C-)

-Terry Gordy defeats Chris Adams in 20:15 by submission. (C). After the match, Gordy cut a promo, where he said he's the man to beat in this week's "Last Man Standing" Event. He also addresses the current Freebirds - Michael Hayes, Buddy Roberts, and Jimmy Garvin. He says that the group has "sucked" since Gordy left, and again invites Roberts and Garvin to leave Hayes and join Gordy. (C)

-Adrian Adonis defeats Iceman Parsons in 8:37 by pinfall. (B). After the match, Skandor Akbar hands Adonis a pair of scissors. Adonis proceeds to cut a braid of Parson's hair off. (C-). Adonis then cuts a promo hyping his match with Roddy Piper this week at Last Man Standing. Adonis says that his talk show is better than Piper's, that he's better looking, a better wrestler, and has better hair. Once the world realizes this, says Adonis, we'll all be better off. At Last Man Standing, says Adonis, he might just take a souvenir from Piper. (C).

-Micheal Hayes and Jimmy Garvin come out for the main-event six-man title match. Bob Backlund follows them from a distance, and lingers outside the ring as Hayes and Garvin cut a promo inside the ring. Hayes does all the talking - he first says that Garvin and Roberts have no interest in joining Gordy. Hayes says that Buddy Robert's head has been "somewhere else" lately, but he'll back in top form soon. Tonight says Hayes, he and Garvin will control the match, and "unleash" Backlund as necessary to win the titles. Backlund is still on the outside, looking irritated with Hayes. Hayes also hypes the Hayes/Backlund/David Triple Threat match at Last Man Standing. (C+)

-WCCW Six-Man Tag Team Championship Match
The Von Erichs defeat Michael Hayes, Bob Backlund, and Jimmy Garvin in 14:38 when David made Garvin submit. (B-). The champs make their 3rd defense of their titles. Backlund was a machine during the match, destroying everything in his path, including at one point, Jimmy Garvin. The Von Erichs were able to work much better together, giving them the win. (B-). After the match, Backlund starts to leave the ringside area, as Hayes strikes David with a chair. Hayes and Garvin attack David 2-1, while the other two Von Erichs lie temporarily incapacitated outside the ring. (C+) Backlund is almost at the end of the entrance-area when he turns, looks at the ring, hesitates, and then runs to the ring to make the save for David, striking both Hayes and Garvin with a chair. Backlund then leaves all three men lying in the ring. (C+)

Overall Show Rating: C+

THOUGHTS:

-OK show since we were in the midwest.

-That wasn't quite a full face-turn by Backlund, but at this point, it's clear that he hates Hayes more than David and the Von Erichs. Backlund has always had an air on insanity since he came in to WCCW, now, there's just more violence behind it.

-I was surprised by some the match ratings in this show - particularly Gordy v. Adams getting only a C. It's job city at this point for Adams and Garvin, since they're both on the way out, but neither will be buried too badly.

-Match of the night, surprisingly, was Adonis v. Parsons. And Adonis introduces a new element to the Piper feud - cutting hair.

Last edited by molson : 09-08-2007 at 02:40 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote