View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 09:06 PM   #429
molson
General Manager

ROSTER: END OF MARCH, 1984: ONE-YEAR REVIEW

-This is a pretty in-depth review, to meet the purpose of checking on the progress of everyone after a full year. The wrestlers are in order from top to bottom on the WCCW Totem Pole. The skill increases shown are from the start of the dynasty, whether or not they were with us at the time (and the lowest skill increase threshold I'm tracking here is 2/3 of a grade, i.e. B- to B+) W/L record is since the start of the dynasty, in WCCW matches only. Once again, it appears skills can always increase with age, but physical condition worsens with age and overuse, which effects performance.

-The game only tracks skills progress over 1 year, so I wanted to track the progress of guys here, to see who's improving. The whole year-end thing is slightly tedious, which is why the dynasty updates have slowed down, but I should get rolling against once I'm through this.

MAIN EVENTERS

1. David Von Erich

25 years old, $1,925/show, 18 months remaining, creative control
WCCW Record: 62-12-8
Skill Increases:
2/3 Letter Grade: Aerial, Flashiness, Basics,
Full Letter Grade: Respect
More than 1 Full Letter Grade: None
Tex Popularity: B-
Midwest Popularity: B
Southeast Popularity: B-

-Still not the most talented guy on the roster, but the guy I've decided to build the company around, based a number of secondary factors: loyalty, all-around skill, and of course, desire to see David Von Erich lead WCCW to national promise in a fictional world.

-He's still a decent bargain, though his new contract came at the price of creative control. He hasn't exercised it yet, and I don't expect him to exercise it against anyone who's not a main eventer.

2. Bob Backlund
34 years old, $2,000/show, 11 months remaining
WCCW Record: 19-10-3
Skill Increases:
2/3 Letter Grade: Brawling, Psychology
Full Letter Grade: Mic Skills, Charisma
More than 1 Full Letter Grade: Aerial
Midwest Popularity: C
Southeast Popularity: C

-It's cool to see Backlund thrive and do something relevant in fictional world during the time where he basically dropped off the wrestling map for 10 years in real life. It's even cooler to see him improve so much in mic skills and charisma - no doubt a product of how I've used him.

-He gets the #2 spot here largely due to his contract, and the fact I have him locked up for another year. He's a huge part of the continuing national expansion, even though he splits his time between us, the WWF, and Maple Leaf Wrestling (with an A+ stamina rating, he can handle the schedule).

3. Terry Gordy
22 years old, $1,475/show, 2 months remaining
WCCW Record: 23-12-7
Skill Increases:
2/3 Letter Grade: Aerial, Basics, Puro, Submissions, Charisma, Stamina
Full Letter Grade: Mic Skills, Respect
Southeast Popularity: C+

-I'd love to push Gordy as dominant, top heel champion, but like Bruiser Brody, he considers himself a freelancer and won't tie himself down to any one territory. We have him for 2 months at a reasonable rate, but if he wants a huge raise after that, Fritz may cap us out, due to our financial losses as of late. So we'll get the most of him while we have him.

-It's hard to believe he's only 22. He's improved a lot in the last year, and has A level skills in 5 areas: Toughness, Stamina, Basics, Consistency, and Resilience. Even his mic skills and charisma have increased to clearly above-average levels.

4. Michael Hayes
24 years old, $1,500/show, 6 months remaining
WCCW Record: 17-32-7
Skill Increases:
2/3 Letter Grade: Safety, Hardcore, Flashiness, Submissions
Full Letter Grade: Chain Wrestling, Aerial, Mat, Basics, Respect
More than 1 Full Letter Grade: Puro
Tex Popularity: B
Midwest Popularity: C-
Southeast Popularity: C+

-Hayes moves up to the Main Event this month and all the way to #4 in the rankings, primarily as a result of the Freebirds heating up again.

-Hayes appears to have the greatest in-ring improvements of all the main eventers (of course, he had the most room for improvement). He's always had off-the-chart entertainment skills, if he can develop into an even decent wrestler, he's be a huge, huge star. (And he's already decent enough to be carried to an A+ triple threat match with Backlund and David, and two others with them that rated A). The biggest issue for Hayes is his stamina - he can't go more than 15 or so minutes without compromising the match quality.

-I was pretty surprised to see how bad his W/L record is, I need to get him some more wins over lesser talent.

5. Roddy Piper
29 years old, $3,375/show, 13 months remaining
WCCW Record: 9-2-1
Skill Increases:
2/3 Letter Grade: Puro, Aerial, Flashiness, Mat Wrestling
More than 1 Full Letter Grade: Chain Wrestling
Tex Popularity: C
Southeast Popularity: B

-I don't know exactly what it is, but the Hot Rod just hasn't been a great fit for WCCW. And with that salary, his run has to be considered a pretty big bust.

-I thought he could be more experienced and polished version of Michael Hayes, but it just hasn't happened. Piper's entertainment skills are off the charts - tops in the wrestling universe in charisma and mic skills. But even though WCCW was somewhat trendy in 1984, Fritz's product type (which I'm not allowed to tweak), just isn't that into the shtick. He hasn't been able to get past C popularity in Texas or the midwest. He'll get through the Adonis feud, but then, I'm leaning towards letting him go.

6. Ted Dibiase

30 years old, $2,825/show, 15 months remaining
WCCW Record: 7-0-2
Skill Increases:
2/3 Letter Grade: Flashiness, Safety, Aerial
Tex Popularity: B
Midwest Popularity: C+
Southeast Popularity B-

-I think Ted can be a huge star here, he's just still in the middle of his "new guy push" where he hasn't been involved in any big matches or feuds yet. I didn't realize he was still undefeated.

-I haven't made a final decision about who walks away with the world title at the tournament, and Ted is a darkhorse candidate. The only issue for him will be an issue many have had in WCCW - if you're not a Von Erich, or a Freebird, are you relevant? I'll find something for him to do.

Last edited by molson : 09-20-2007 at 09:31 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote