View Single Post
Old 05-03-2006, 11:17 AM   #19
Butter
Coordinator

Feb. 18, Match 35 @ #23 Shrewsbury
Another 0-0 first half. And it also ends 0-0, as we muster just one shot on target for the entire match. A horrible game to watch, but at least we drag another point out of the proceedings. Unfortunately for Shrewsbury, it’s not enough to keep them from falling into last place.
Draw, 0-0, drop to 6 points behind 1st place Lincoln

Keeper Jorg Stiel notes to the press my tirade following the match, noting that I didn’t hold back from telling the players exactly what I thought of them.

Feb. 25, Match 36 v. #16 Grimsby
In the 5th minute, Benjamin and Gain play the one-two, and Benjamin with acres of space inside the box scores easily. Finally, we get an early lead and can make our counter-attack even more effective. Sadly, just after halftime, Mark Hughes makes a mistake, missing a tackle… that allows a clean breakaway and a goal for Grimsby Town. Eero Peltonen gets loose in the box in the 58th… the ball is slide tackled away from him, but Benjamin is in perfect position for an easy tap-in to make it 2-1. In the 71st, Peter Gain with a great ball right onto the spot from 40 yards… Palmason with a half-volley, and he nestles it inside the left post. A dynamic first ever goal for midfielder P.R. Palmason makes it 3-1. Evander Sno then scores an own goal for Grimsby in stoppage time, but we still hold on for the win.
Win, 3-2, close to within 3 points of Lincoln

We sign yet another young striker, as this time it’s 19 year old Middlesbrough Reserve Danny Reed who agrees to a 3 year, $20k per contract with Peterborough. Reed has good finishing skill, and quality mental and physical attributes… he just needs to work on technique a bit more.

From now until the end of the season, all of our games are on Saturdays except for one. So, we should get a bit of a break from having to dip too far down the bench for players due to fatigue.

We sit 5 points clear of 4th place, so if we can keep up the form a bit longer, we should be able to secure automatic promotion.

Carling Cup Final
Tottenham H. 2:1 Crystal Palace (CH)

We finish February 3-2-0, another undefeated league month… and I pick up my second Manager of the Month award this season.

March
Cash balance: ($459,963)

March 4, Match 37 @ #14 Carlisle
Carlisle utterly dominate us through the first half hour, but we survive the onslaught and go into the locker rooms scoreless. Just after halftime, we get a good chance, as Palmason sends Logan through… he has it tackled away, but Quinn is there, and smashes the ball over the keeper’s shoulder and into the goal for a 1-0 lead. We do a good job of clearing our lines, and hold on for all 3 points.
Win, 1-0, remain 3 points behind Lincoln for 1st

We hold a +1 GD lead on Lincoln, so it looks like the title may very well come down to our meeting on April 8th at Sincil Bank Stadium in London against the league leaders.

March 11, Match 38 v. #19 Rushden & Diamonds
Again, we dominate a team for an entire half, but fail to turn that dominance into a lead. We continue to dominate in the second half, and finally in the 59th we turn it into a goal… Semple’s corner finds Hagman’s head, and we’re in front. R&D actually turn in some nice chances late, but we hang on for another tight win.
Win, 1-0, draw to within 1 pt. of 1st

We’re now 10 pts. clear of 4th place and nearly assured of a promotion spot.

Simon Hagman gets sent home with the flu… then Eero Peltonen pulls a hammy in practice sprints. So, we’re down to 3 healthy strikers.

March 18, Match 39 @ #5 Mansfield
In the 9th, Jorg Stiel misplays a backpass, and gets the ball stolen and put in for an easy Mansfield goal. We strike back in the 24th, as Palmason strips a player in midfield, then plays Benjamin through the trap… he then makes a classy move around the keeper and scores his 18th of the year. Just before the halftime whistle, Trevor Benjamin sends a cross in from the touch line into the center, where Richard Logan heads it in from 8 yards. In the 62nd, Mansfield with a flukey goal, as a series of 3 headers ricochet from the top of the box, and just in past Stiel to level the match. Then, in the 71st, a bad clearance by Carden allows Mansfield an easy chance that Stiel can’t save, and it’s 3-2. In the dying seconds, Peter Gain takes a straight on 20 yard free kick… it hits the wall and deflects inches past the post. Our unbeaten streak is over.
Loss, 3-2, remain 1 pt. behind Lincoln

FA Cup Quarterfinals
Preston 0:3 Newcastle
Middlesbrough 1:2 Arsenal
Chelsea 2:0 Bolton
Reading 2:2 Everton (Reading win replay on PK’s)

March 25, Match 40 v. #8 Wrexham
A poor and boring match all around, as it finishes 0-0. But on the plus side, Lincoln loses and we jump into first for the first time this season.
Draw, 0-0, up to 1st place

Stories begin to surface criticizing the continued selection of Jorg Stiel as first-team keeper, saying that Stiel is over the hill. Maybe so, but he is the best we’ve got since the sale of Mark Tyler.

We sign another reserve player, this time it’s 17 year old Italian central middie Michael Cia agreeing to a 2 year, $9k per deal with the Posh. Cia needs a lot of work… but we’re building our reserves from the ground up essentially, and he is a good looking passer… and not much else.

We finish March 2-1-1, good enough to ascend into first.

April
Cash balance: ($670,445)

You have been offered a 3 year contract at $50k per year by the board.

Due to the club’s perilous financial situation, the board regret that there will be no transfer funds available next season. They are confident that the club’s fortunes will change in the future however and the entire board have every faith in your ability to help turn the club around.

The current wage bill stands at approx. $2M per year which the board consider a healthy level for a club of this size.

I agree to the contract extension.

Adam Newton fails to turn up for reserve training, and I offer him an early contract termination. He is scheduled to make another $160k next season, but is pretty much useless to me… and no one has been willing to sign him on a free transfer. He agrees to early termination for a $95k severance. That would save me about $85k on the face of it, so I agree.

The board is delighted that I have agreed to the contract extension… and midfielder Peter Gain states that he is pleased with it as well.

April 1, Match 41 @ #11 Stockport
Mark Hughes gives up a penalty on a corner in the 4th minute, and Stockport convert to take a quick lead. Stockport with another goal in the 12th, as their striker just hammers a 12 yard tight angle shot past a flailing Stiel. We nearly score a couple of times before the half, but go in trailing by 2. In the 58th, Simon Hagman takes a speculative 25 yarder, and the keeper fails to smother it, allowing it to roll in behind him. That’s Hagman’s 4th of the season. We threaten several other times, and Jorg Stiel plays a great second half to keep us in it, but in the end we can’t come up with the equalizer.
Loss, 2-1, remain 1st

Lincoln also fall… their 14th loss of the season, which is not a good mark… but a league-best 24 wins is keeping them in 2nd.

Trevor Benjamin comes up with an injured hamstring in this last game, and he’ll miss upwards of a month.

We terminate the loan contract of Eero Peltonen, as his hamstring still isn’t healed, and we probably won’t need him much after the Lincoln game anyway.

Champions League Quarterfinals (aggregate scores)
Arsenal 3:1 Real Madrid
Real Betis 2:4 Barcelona
Chelsea 2:0 Liverpool
AC Milan 1:3 Inter Milan

Marcus Williams picks up a groin strain in training, and he’s likely to miss most of the remainder of the season.

UEFA Cup Quarterfinals (aggregate scores)
Ajax 4:1 Club Brugge
Benfica 3:1 Atletico Madrid
Dinamo Kiev 2:3 Galatasaray
Sampdoria 3:1 Espanyol

April 8, Match 42 @ #2 Lincoln
Mark Cousins returns to the lineup at keeper today, following continuing criticism of Stiel. In the 6th minute, Dean Holden sends in a free kick from the right… Logan heads it in at the near post to give us a quick lead. It stays that way until the 85th, when Hagman gets a breakaway, and nets the clincher, his 5th of the season… which also sends Lincoln to a 4th straight defeat.
Win, 2-0, lead by 3 pts.

Not to sound too cocky… but I think we just locked up the title. A 3 point lead with 4 matches to play is by no means impenetrable… but the way Lincoln’s playing, I like our chances of staying on top.