View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 12:01 PM   #58
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I'm curious, what makes the average cop more trustworthy than the average civilian in your eyes?

More ... "vetted" might be a decent word for what I'm trying to say.

They've had more training, been more closely observed, been subjected to more evaluation, been subjected to more scrutiny, etc & so on. They've had more opportunities to have their shortcomings identified & dealt with than the random (and I do mean random, literally pick one from amongst 318.6m) person.

Secondary to that I suppose is anecdotal experience. Lord knows, between my somewhat misspent youth & years of dealing with law enforcement first hand as a broadcast journalist it's not as though I don't have some first hand knowledge. I've most definitely seen the bad along with the good -- from rural to metro to suburban -- but on average if you pick one person with a badge at random vs one person vs the non-badge population at random & put them in law enforcement Situation X I believe the odds of the officer acting properly are significantly higher than the civilian.

edit to add: just ftr, Suicane posted while I was composing, I had not seen his word choice when I made mine.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-12-2014 at 12:01 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote