View Single Post
Old 08-28-2018, 10:34 AM   #12
revrew
Team Chaplain

Mike Greenberg: "The time for drafting is almost here, which means it's also time for final predictions. Mike Mayock, Todd McShay, I want to hear two names from you. One easy prediction, the obvious name, the slam dunk choice. And one dark horse, who you think the Dragons might mine a little deeper to get. Mike, let's start with you."

Mike Mayock: "Well, I'm going to go with a theme here, because I think there's a couple of real possibilities for the capital city of Iowa, Des Moines Dragons to take some popular Iowa athletes. The slam dunk prediction is Cornerback Ashton Dodge of the Seahawks. Dodge is a smart, veteran cornerback who is popular with the fans and a mentor in the locker room. And let's not forget, he's a hometown favorite after winning a bowl game with a walk-off pick six for Iowa State eight years ago. Yes, he's 30 years old, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Dragons take a mix of young bucks and seasoned leaders. Dodge is smart, very physical, and he'd be a great leader for a new team."

Greenberg: "Before we get to your dark horse candidate, Mike, I want to hear from McShay. Todd, who is your certain choice?"

Todd McShay: "Well if Mayock is taking Iowa athletes, I have a good idea who his dark horse is, but for me, the slam dunk pick is defensive end Clarence Badalyan out of Kansas City. Frankly, I think everyone is shocked the Chiefs left him unprotected. Sure, he's in the last year of his contract and is going to break the bank next year, but I would have expected the Chiefs to try to trade him to the Dragons, rather than leave him out there for the draft. He can play the 3-4 or move inside and wreak havoc in a 4-3 pass rush. I think the Dragons snag him and pay him the moon to keep him around for a long time."

Greenberg: "Todd, you think you know Mike's dark horse?"

McShay: "Another Iowa athlete? How about Satterfield?"

Mayock: "That's exactly right, Todd. The Houston Texans have left unprotected tight end Kelvin Satterfield, also of Iowa State. The kid is only in his third year, and they love him in Iowa. I'm surprised the Texans left him in the wind, but he has struggled to stay healthy, so it looks like they're just not willing to risk it on the former third rounder. He doesn't have the stats, no one outside of Iowa really knows who he is, but he's fast, he can catch, if he can stay healthy, he could be a star."

Greenberg: "And your final prediction, Todd?"

McShay: "I like the kind of young players you can build around, and right guard Drew Pritchett of the Eagles may be a hidden gem. He's stuck on the depth chart behind their interior line in Philly, so I think they were hoping he'd sneak past the Dragons. I don't see it happening. Pritchett is a road grader, and while he might not be a top pick for Des Moines, he could easily be the starter on opening day."

Greenberg: "The predictions are in the books, and the Dragons are on the clock! When we come back, we'll have the first pick of the 2025 NFL expansion draft!"
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote