View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 09:50 AM   #13
revrew
Team Chaplain

Mike Greenberg: "It's pandemonium here in Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, Iowa! There are a sea of brand new, Dragon jerseys, Hawkeye and Cyclone jerseys, and it feels like the entire state of Iowa is in this arena right now, screaming and cheering their heads off! NFL Commissioner James Gordon has just announced the first ever draft selection and thus inaugural member, the first Des Moines Dragon, in history, and needless to say, the announcement was a huge hit with the fans here in Iowa. Let's go back and replay the Commissioner's announcement, and I want you to hear how this arena just erupted when the announcement was made."

Cut to video of NFL Commissioner James Gordon: "With the first selection of the 2025 NFL expansion draft, the Des Moines Dragons select … Mitch Plante, safety, … {noise drowns out words} … safety, Washington Warriors."

Greenberg: "So that just happened, and needless to say, it was a popular pick here in Des Moines. Plante was drafted just a week ago with the third selection of second round of the rookie draft. But Mitch, repack your bags, you're leaving D.C. to come back to Iowa!"

Mike Mayock: "Mitch Plante, as the hometown fans likely know, was a Jim Thorpe Award finalist for the Iowa State Cyclones last year, and a First Team Big 12 safety."

Todd McShay: "And it makes sense, given Jack Ledger's flair for the public eye, that he would use the Dragons' first pick on an Iowa native. Just like you were suggesting, Mayock."

Greenberg: "I want to touch on two things about this pick. The first is the process. Washington can now protect every other rookie on their team, as well as five veterans, from being drafted by the Dragons. They have 10 minutes – or more, if the Dragons use all of their clock time – to submit the names of those protected players. Because there's a lesser-known rule in this draft that the Dragons cannot select two players from the same team back-to-back. That just gives the other teams more time to submit their lists of protected players to the commissioner and to the Dragons. The other point I want to touch on, I'm actually going to turn over to Mel Kiper. Mel, as always, is the NFL's everything draft-related expert par excellence, and Mel will be on hand with us to talk about what the rookies the Dragons draft bring to the table for their new team. Mel, I assume you can start to hear me now? The noise dying down a bit?"

Mel Kiper: "Yes, Mike, I'm here!"

Greenberg: "Mel, what can you tell us about the very first Dragon?"
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote