View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 11:37 AM   #326
MIJB#19
Coordinator

General Manager Notes: Disobeying staff members

I keep forgetting my coordinator make weird decisions in the pre-season. The plan was to throw Bert Martin out there to see what he can do with 40 or so snaps and additionally put the two rookie running backs out there to see what they can do. Instead, the staff pulled Martin early twice and actually threw our pathetic special teamer Asher Ford out there to carry the ball 15 times in each game. Hairpulling stuff, I tell you!

So, we're down to 53 players. I've put the axe on offensive players, and only offensive players. Yeah, we'll actually be reverting back to the same group of players, pretty much. Rookie tight end Clarence Gore will be the only big change, while I'll also do my best to make room and snaps available for Rickey Lyle as our WR3. And Trey Beyer made the roster as our fourth RB, basically our inactive backup RB2.

Quarterback Brandon Bell stunk again in pre-season and once again made zero, I repeat, zero progress. What's up with this kid, why can't he improve? Maybe, just maybe, I should have kicked his ass off the team. But, y'know, he was actually pretty good in the majority of his rookie campaign...

So, back to Moe Sheldon one more time? Gosh, if only I hadn't pissed that #9 overall pick away and actually traded up to like the #4 or #5 slot to grab WR Bryson Zimmerman or QB Trey Hansen, or actually not get stuck and grab one of two kids we wanted to pick at the #9 slot: WR Tristan Powell or QB Terrence Joyner. Maybe next season. For now, it's back to the Bell and Sheldon flipflopping.

The defense will also feature 3 new faces. Devon Farrell will hopefully make the most impact as our new safety, playing strong safety on passing downs and free safety on running downs. Trenton Prescott has made the team as our sixth linebacker. He'll be inactive as he'll have no added value to the special teams unit with guys like Palmer and Rayburn also in front of him there. Trent Donovan is the guy I wouldn't expect to make the roster, but look who made it after all! Yes, action will be limited to non-existing for him, but he's a promising project as a defensive end and maybe we need a new kid in the rotation as early as next season. It's always a good thing to have a kid with a season on our roster on his resume.

Other role changes? With Alexander Marty's departure, it's up to second-year Chuck Murray to prove us he can step in Marty's role as a running downs strong safety. Cornerback Adam Harmon will be a bit of a casualty, as it means we'll want to see more of Jessie McNeil in the nickel or dime role to increase cohesion across the secondary. Harmon's time will come, although his superb potential has somewhat turned him from an excellent prospect into a very good one.

Defensive tackle Kurt Ackerman will also get more playing time as we'll be throwing all four defensive tackles on the field this season. I think giving Jumbo Mojica and Darien Fletcher some breathing time will be good for the entire D-Line. At linebacker will increase Clayton Jackson's role as the replacement of Moe Iveans, it will be interesting to see whether Jackson can play ball on running downs.

It's quite the contrast with last season as we'll be returning 11 players that were new to us in 2090, excluding those that have already left the facilities.

I'm still far from excited about the upcoming season. Havin so little turnover in personnel after a train wreck of a season has got to be a bad sign...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote