View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i think "on the fly" adjustments would be great. this is a pretty key feature of football that is missing from the game as-is at the moment. even if the on-the-fly adjustments were not as detailed as redoing the gameplan but were along the lines of "try to exploit X" or "pay more attention to Y" (x and y being weaknesses or opponent's strengths). Maybe even to the point of after each series being able to "talk" with your offensive and defensive captains and point those things out.

Some sort of "wizard" interface would be awesome. because I'd love to experiment with gameplanning more in single-player, or even play more multi-player but I simply don't have the time to sit there and figure out if running it right 45% vs. 38% on 2nd and short will result in an extra 12 points in a season, which translates into 2 extra wins. And I have no idea where 45% versus 38% compares to league-average. I want the game to do that for me, and tell me "if you want to have a run-heavy attack i will figure out the league's average run-% and adjust yours to be heavier."

I think this would also be great because it would make the leagues very organic. If you had coaches with documented coaching-philosophies (who would presumably be hired by AI-teams based on how they fit the team's current or desired skill-sets), the league "average" would change over time based on these coaches and the personnel that they had. Thus you might see a league where a couple great offensive coaches got hooked-up with a couple great throwing-QB's and your league evolves for a time into a pass-happy league, before those players depart and the league starts to revert back to the mean. (does that make sense?). Hopefully that doesn't get too off-topic, but it's one example I think of how having a gameplan-wizard that used "league averages" combined with a couple other things, could make the game world really...unique and fluid.

i think Jim is right on as far as tracking even more "off the ball" stats (if you want to categorize them that way I guess). With the tracking of "off the ball" stats more, that increases the opportunity to reintroduce "scouting error" to the game as well - because you will finally have a more complete package of statistics to judge your players on (not to drag this off-topic). It would also give you the ability to gameplan more to your player's strengths and weaknesses if you were willing to dive in that deeply.

edit: hopefully this pertains enough to gameplanning. i wanted to speak on gameplanning, but also digress a bit into how enhancements in gameplanning could improve other features of the game as a byproduct.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-14-2008 at 12:32 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote