View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 02:02 PM   #18
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Here's one FA scenario that probably happens fairly regularly in real life, but is not handled realistically in FOF.

I have roughly $6M in available cap room in the WOOF right now. There is one guy I'd like to sign. If I don't get him, I will likely sign no one (except maybe a mentor after the draft). I am willing to pay him *more* than $6M this year. In real life, I would handle this by...

1. Reaching an agreement with New Player that costs me $9.5M in cap space this year.
2. Immediately releasing John Jones, clearing $2M in cap space this year.
3. Immediately releasing James Johnson, clearing another $1.75M in cap space this year.
4. Signing New Player.

In FOF, I have to release Jones and Johnson *before* I know if I've reached an agreement with New Player. And if I don't sign New Player, Jones and Johnson are still gone. Their releases in real life are 100% contigent on signing New Player. It would be fun if there were a mechanism by which you would have one or two stages to clear cap room *after* a new signing.

I've been offered a lowball for my DE by a savvy owner who realizes I could use some cap room, too. Same scenario: I have no interest in trading him unless I sign the new guy, but I may not be able to offer enough to get the new guy to sign unless I make the trade first. Catch-22 ftl.

Seems that you should be able to offer the figure and if it is over your CAP it simply opens a dialog box where you have to add players to drop that will cover the extra cost. Then, if the deal goes through the players on your "drop for cap list" go bye-bye. Obviously, if the other player doesn't sign the folks on the drop list are none-the-wiser and stay put.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote