View Single Post
Old 09-23-2021, 08:56 AM   #1379
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Berry College - Projections for 2021/22

Berry had a great year in '20/'21 despite all the stoppages for Covid related issues. Unfortunately, Berry lost basically twice as many points to graduation as the next highest team in conference. The 156 points will be extremely tough to replace, and the impact Dylan White and Michael Bemis had on the A relays also can't be ignored or easily replaced. However, thanks to a big and talented recruiting class, Berry might just pull it off. Now, if everyone stays healthy and on the team, they will field a full 18 man roster - that's 1 more than participated last year, but the team should also be able to drop people that only earned a couple of points in favor of better swimmers.

In all, last year in the individual events, the men won 10 medals, had 15 other A finals swims, 4 top of the B heat swims, and 13 additional swims that score in the B heat. Based on trends and personal best times it looks to me like Berry should have around 9 medals this year, potentially 33 additional A finals swimmers, 9 swims at the top end of the B heat, and 20 additional swims that score. I expect the projections are slightly high, because I didn't take in account the impact the deeper team will have on scoring, as teammates will invariably push each other down the standings. However, even if you adjust the number down slightly, the totals still far outweigh the results from last year.

Unfortunately, I don't think they are quite good enough yet to overtake Birmingham Southern. Another good recruiting class this year, with minimal losses to graduation coming at the end of the season and Berry would be in a good position to win the championship in '22/'23
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote