View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 07:27 AM   #1145
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Question about how stuff works: would student/athletes enrolled at a satellite campus be eligible?

Piedmont operates a satellite campus in Oconee County (i.e. right across the county line from Athens), and it's a somewhat popular option for locals who didn't get admitted to bigger schools for their freshman year. There's also a decent (to my understanding) swim program or two around here.

Just kinda made me wonder if that might be some part of their thinking with this move.

Honesty, I'm not sure how that works. I'd assume as long as you are enrolled in courses, regardless of where you attend you are eligible to be on the swim team. However, I'm not sure how practice would work. Typically the head coach wants to watch/coach the team, so I don't know if the Oconee swimmers would be expected to commute for practice or if they might assign a satellite coach to work out of another facility. It'll be interesting to see how this fleshes out. I've said for a long time that there are so many great swimmers the Georgia and North Carolina area that it's a shame that the colleges in north Georgia haven't stepped up to start a team, because I think you can build a pretty competitive one quickly. My comments were more centered on the public schools (lower costs), but this might still fit especially with the Hope scholarship helping to pay for school. I'll be following along just out of curiosity.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote