View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 08:12 AM   #1220
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

South Forsyth

The swim team had their senior dinner the other night. It was held at a local Italian chain restaurant, where we chose our food from a limited menu, and visited with other senior parents. As part of this dinner the kids are asked to talk about their swim experiences and most use the time as an opportunity to say thank you to their parents for the sacrifices made allowing them to swim.

Most of the kids scripted their talks and read them off their phones. Bailey and Bear didn't prepare anything and both spoke from the heart. Which I'd prefer even if it was brief. (Bear actually tried to convince Bailey to say, "Word's can't explain my feelings about this...so I'm not even going to try," and then have her sit down.)

Bear had a nice speech where the thanked us and he referenced the videos I used to make of his swims when he was younger, and hearing mom screaming for him. He also thanked me for counting "all those laps".

Bailey on the other hand went last and she went in a different direction, and I thought it was great. She thanked us, but at the same time she stated..."also thank you for helping me realize I don't want to swim anymore". Which was a complete flip of the script, as everyone else was lamenting the end of their swimming, where Bailey was honestly admitting, I've had enough and thanks for understanding and helping me realize that it's OK.

Last edited by Breeze : 01-16-2020 at 08:19 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote