View Single Post
Old 02-11-2020, 07:06 AM   #1229
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Georgia High School State Championships - RESULTS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bailey

#12 Girls 100 Fly (1:02:40) - Bailey came into this swim seeded with a 1:02.40 time, but I'm not sure where that time came from. Originally, I though it was her best high school time, but a little research during some down time at the meet indicated I was way off on that. Her personal best high school time is a 1:00.78 from last year's state meet, when she posted her 3rd fastest time ever, despite missing several weeks just prior with a concussion. The truth of the matter was, because Bailey had pretty much stopped swimming at the end of December, her times in this event for the season were actually, in order: 1:04.52, 1:04.96, 1:04.97, 1:05.66, 1:05.57 (county prelims), 1:04.59 (county finals). With a couple of extra weeks out of the pool, the wife and I weren't expecting much. In fact, we debated on if she'd actually beat the state cut time of 1:06.00. The race started and Bailey opened with a strong 28.88. So strong she was only around .4 slower than last year. She closed out the second half of the race with a 33.93, and posted a time of 1:02.81. I was completely blown away with this effort. This is so much faster than she had gone all season, even in year round swims she never beat a 1:04 high, and yet in her last race ever she steps up and beats her season best time by almost 2 seconds. I was happy she went out with a good swim, and given the strength of this performance, I'll always wonder what might have been...if not for mono and back pain.

Last edited by Breeze : 02-11-2020 at 11:20 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote