View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 07:31 AM   #1230
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Georgia High School State Championships - PRELIM RESULTS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bear

#1 Boys 200 Medley Relay (34) (1:45.65) - The meet started with the 200 Medley Relay, and Bear combined with Riley (back), Sree (Breast), & Jake (Fly) to swim a 1:41.94, which was a big improvement over the seed time, and it was better than the 1:42.53 time they posted at county (why that wasn't the seed time is beyond me). The improvement was good enough for the team to move up from 34th seed to a tie for 23rd and to make it back in the C finals. Bear split a 22.8, which he wasn't happy about...

#3 Boys 200 IM (2:07.36) - Bear swam 4 strong legs, the fly was 26 low, the back was 31 low, the breast was much better than what he had been swimming at 36 high and he closed with a 28 low free. He not only improved on the seed time (which again, I'm not sure where it came from), but he also improved on his 2:05.60 high school best time from county finishing in 2:02.83. This is his 3rd best time ever in this event, and even a personal best time might not have been good enough to make it back to finals.

#15 Boys 500 Free (4:51.40) - This was an extremely disappointing swim for Bear. He was able to slightly better his county time, but he didn't come close to his high school best time of 4:48...he finished in 4:57.45. His form looks so much better, I'm pretty confident that he's starting to turn the corner on the distance swims. I strongly believe his struggle here was due to missing time with the ankle injury. He basically missed all of winter training, then had several weeks of modified practice, which means he was far from peak shape. I'll be interested to see how he does in these events in long course. Fingers crossed my assessment is accurate. I really want to see him start dropping in these events again.

#23 Boys 400 Yard Free Relay (28) (3:28.69) - The team's seed time was close to their actual time at county, only off by .2 seconds, so at least this one made some sort of sense. The team was seeded 28th, so they'd need a good swim to make it back to finals. Bear combined with Jake and Sree from the Medley and Ben to post a 3:19.38, which moved them up to 16th heading into finals. Bear split a 50.6, which was pretty good...he wanted to go sub 50. This time not only got the team into the B final, it moved them to within .54 seconds of the South Forsyth High School team record in this event.

Last edited by Breeze : 02-12-2020 at 07:45 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote