View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #114
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
We are in a dead spot for over the air reception of local tv. I could go with the very basic cable package (still get NFL games and espn 360 is part of the package) and save $80 or so a month. That would leave me plenty to pay for MLB over the net and still come out way ahead.

My problem is even though I'm an ~8 hour drive from Chicago MLB still puts me in the blackout area for my Cubs (at least last time I checked). If I could find a way around that I would seriously look at making the change. I do enjoy my baseball IE Cubs games though and going without isn't something I want to do.

See I'm in the "if they don't want to make it easy for me to watch, screw 'em, I've got plenty else to do" camp. I'm one of those who hasn't watched a Thursday night NFL game since they came on NFL network, and while I miss them, I don't miss paying for them. That's one less subscriber / advertising viewer they lose out on. Same for ESPN, the sports that are on it, etc. I may be just a drop in the bucket, but that bucket gets more and more full each year as people drop cable and satellite service for OTA / broadband.

If they want me to watch, they'll make it easy for me. If they'd rather cozy up to the cable companies, eh, that's their business, I'll just go play more Portal 2, or Mario Kart with the kids, or go to a movie (sigh), or other much cheaper forms of entertainment. Life's to short to pay $80/month for the privilege of watching other guys play games.