View Single Post
Old 09-24-2011, 04:09 PM   #1002
Radii
Head Coach

Player Moves

With the need for a rotation system out the door I don't do too many drastic things, we brought in some talent that I want to keep around. But what did happen is that many players that were backups for us were completely marginalized by our new signings.

-- I was in talks with Olympiakos to sign ST Carlos Brieseno, a good looking target man who I thought could score some goals for me. The problem is that he's worth $4M and it was going to take all $16M I have available to me to get him. If we were playing in the Euro Cup Group Stage I would have wanted him badly and would have spent that much money. Now that I'm out of that I'm much, much more content to use Khan/Constantino and get our youngster Chris Bryan into matches whenever I can until Bendtner is healthy. I withdraw my offer and save my cash.

-- I'd been sitting on an offer by QPR for ML Lee Burton. He was left out of my Euro Cup 25 and was understandably pissed. With the emergence of Jack Hughes as a legitimate ML along with Adgasmar, Burton was seriously marginalized. After this loss Burton really has no place on the squad anymore. I sell Burton for $3.8M to QPR. They're paying me $1M now and $2.8M over the next 2 years.

-- DRC Andy Parsons isn't good enough to play for us. He's only worth $900,000 and I got no offers for him even when I offered him out for free. I end up offering him mutual termination just to free up the roster spot and keep things a little smaller for harmony's sake. I have to buy him out for a grand total of $120,000. Sure thing, pal, hope you latch on somewhere.

-- MRC Darren Johnson is not a bad player at all, he was a very workmanlike backup for me for 2 seasons. But I just signed Aaron Doran to cover at MR and have a lot of depth at MC. Johnson can get on the field but he can't hang with most of the talent in the EPL, basically in our effort to build up for Europe we just improved ourselves enough that Johnson got marginalized out. I have accepted multiple offers for him that will pay me $4M assuming a deal gets done.

-- GK Carlos Antonio I would have forced in had I needed to, but he's not happy being my backup. He still gets attention from high level teams, Juventus offers me $1.3M for him. I accept it, and maybe he'll see the field more for them. I'm perfectly happy with Capitani and Chris Mason, with young keeper Michael Rogers off at Shrewsbury but able to be recalled if need be.

-- Mills isn't unhappy with me anymore, neither is Capitani. Lee Burton and Kirkland are, Burton is gone though real soon and Kirkland will get over it I hope. Once these moves are all made we'll revisit the squad and depth chart and see how deep we run.

League Cup 3rd Round Draw

-- By the time we get in we're already down to 32 teams. We get a good draw here, we're going to play Watford in the Championship.

August 29th, 2021

QPR @ Ipswich

We finally get our first league home match and its against QPR, a team that promoted back up from the Championship after 4 very long seasons for them (they made the Championship playoffs four years in a row before finally winning the playoffs last year, never could quite get 1st or 2nd). Reading and Southampton are the other two teams that made it back up.

QPR have a win over Reading and are 1-1-1, looking solid early, so we can't ignore them, but we are even money favorites today and should be able to get 3 points out of this.

GK: Capitani
D: Kirkland/O'Brien/Welsh/Jackson
M: Adagsmar/Mariga/Mills/Gordon
F: Khan/Constantino

Welsh and Jackson in defense, Mariga/Mills at MC, Gordon in his first match back from injury.

11': We give up a free kick, they get a lot of men forward and we miss a couple tackles, giving up a clear cut chance in the crowded penalty area from very close range, shot is pretty much right at Capitani and we are really lucky to not be down a goal.

21': We shot 4 times in the first 7 minutes, they've shot 7 times in the last 10 minutes or so, they're attacking hard and we're not doing a great job winning the ball away to get our counter going.

25': A second clear cut chance as a cross goes into the area for midfielder Basham and he ahs a great look from 10 yards out... right at Capitani again. Our defense looks terrible.

35': Standard mindset instead of counter, lets push these guys a bit more.

HALF: I hate it when i miss stupid stuff. Constantino was stuckin a support role instead of an attacking one, something that happens when I drag a man back to DMC and then put him back up to FC later, it defaults back to support, not what I want. I like that I know my team well enough to know that Constantino isn't doing what I want just by watching highlights. They shoot 10 times, we shoot 7, we actually have 58% of the possession but aren't using it well. We did get forward a lot more later in the half but had shots blocked, long range shots, etc, but Constantino's setting did noticibly screw up the way we were playing, actively going away from our strength at times.

48': Mariga with a great ball ahead for Constantino from about 40 yards out to the right edge of the box, Constantino comes in, shoots from a tough angle... keeper makes the save.

49': Mariga a yellow.

57': midfielder Franks for QPR with a yellow.

64': they send a cross into the area, we go up for it... Welsh with a handball and its a penalty. They take it, Capitani dives to his right... and stops the shot!!!! Woohoo!

66': Clifford in for Mills, Johnson in for Gordon, both tired in their first matches back after injury.

75': Attacking the rest of the way.

But they defend well, the next 18 minutes go by without a single highlight.

Ipswich 0 : 0 QPR

Notables: Jackson (7.3), Kirkland (7.2), Welsh (7.0), Mariga (7.0), Constantino (7.1)

We played fairly well but couldn't manage a goal. Draws against the teams that just earned their way back up to the EPL are not acceptable at home.

Transfers Out

The day after the match Carlos Antonio is off to Juventus and Darren Johnson is off to Wolfeburg in the German First Division. $1.3M and $4M for the two transfers, though we do give $275k to Man City due to a clause we set when we bought Carlos Antonio. We bought Darren Johnson for $975k, got a couple really strong years out of him for that value, and sold him for $4M. Not bad there at all!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote