View Single Post
Old 10-23-2015, 06:27 PM   #447
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Begin AC10. Bestiary of Dragons and Giants

We’re going to head back here for a quick adventure

Thyralax and the Amulet

This dragon shaped amulet was found on a dead Airdrake in the Spindle of Heaven. Alzar was unable to figure it out and a lot of other major things happened, but now he has some time to dedicate - without time needed each day to study spells or cast them, Alzar finds he has a lot of time on his hands, particularly with the Greater Ring of Sustenance.

He spends some time trying to figure out what the Sapphire Amulet is and is for. It’s magical of some sort - it detected as such.

After working on the Amulet in his lab for a while, trying various ways to make it crack its secrets, he adds a drop of Universal Solvent to the Amulet, hoping that he can clear it up or open it up or whatever. Some hard-to-make-out dust and gunk was in the eyes, nose, and mouth of the Amulet, and now it’s clean. As Alzar finishes wiping it down, he receives a mental communication:

“Hold me next to your heart!”

There is no compulsion, and it’s not trying to dominate Alzar, it’s just a request. Alzar tries to communicate back via speech or mentally, but nothing works. So he does it. And after 100 heartbeats…

“I beg of you to help me! I need your help to break free of the curse that binds me and I can prevent the spreading of a great evil!”

The Amulet calls itself Thyralax, a Sapphire Dragon that was battling with an evil Brown dragon over in the Wyrmsteeth range, and the brown, Mardius, got the aid of a sorcerer to make the Amulet and then captured Thyralax to it, and that was centuries ago. Mardius is sure to be around, and Thyralax wants to be freed. His home is in the north of here, in the plains and forests there. It sends Alzar five places that Alzar has to go to dip the Amulet, and thereby weaken the bond it has. The places are emotional ties that can help to break the hold on the dragon.

They are:

Bubbling Pool of Molten Lava
Still pool of crystal water
Winding muddy river with shores lined with high reeds
Dark opening in the side of a stone mountain
Herd of animals in a meadow, by a geyser giving off a grey gas

Alzar needs to head to the north and find these five places and expose the Amulet to the lava/water/water/earth/geyser. And then afterwards take the Amulet to the Wyrmsteeth Range and destroy it there physically. And that’s it,

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote