View Single Post
Old 06-15-2014, 03:18 AM   #12
Rawhide
High School Varsity

We can seal qualification in our first tournament in 18 years with a draw or better against Spain, but first we have a friendly against Uruguay to tune up.

GK - Gilks
DEF - Fox, Whittaker, Wilson, Martin
MID - Adam, McArthur, Kennedy, Morrison
FOR - S.Fletcher, Rhodes

9 - Uruguay 1-0 (Fernandez)
45 - Wilson replaced by Grimmer
57 - Tied 1-1 (S.Fletcher)
70 - Scotland 2-1 (McArthur)

A great, gritty, determined win. We score on our only two shots on goal. Elsewhere, Spain and Bulgaria draw 0-0 and Ukraine wallop Kazakhstan 5-0.

So now we travel to Spain in search of a point to send us to Euro 2016. Even a loss will get us there, depending on other results. We give Jamie Ness (24yo midfielder from Stoke) his Scottish international debut in this vital game.

GK - Bell
DEF - Fox, Martin, Wilson, Grimmer
MID - Ness, McArthur, Kennedy, Brown
FOR - S.Fletcher, Rhodes

2 - Spain 1-0 (Negredo)
12 - Spain 2-0 (Negredo)
30 - Spain 3-0 (Negredo)
45 - Snodgrass replaces Kennedy
77 - Spain 4-0 (Costa)

A poor result. We were suffocated out of the contest with just 38% of possession. Elsewhere, Kazakhstan beat Bulgaria 1-0. That means we lead Ukraine by six points with two games to play. We still need just one point from our final two games - and both will be played on home soil!

Spain and Kazakhstan have played 7 games, the rest 6.

Spain 16 (+15)
Scotland 13 (+1)
Ukraine 7 (+1)
Kazakhstan 5 (-11)
Bulgaria 3 (-6)
The clouds methought would open and show riches ready to drop upon me, that, when I wak'd, I cried to dream again.
Rawhide is offline   Reply With Quote