View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 09:12 PM   #415
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Has the school resource officer changed since I went to school? The guy that I remember from my high school days might have gotten some information about gangs and drugs in the school. Nothing about that guy said he was prepared engage with someone with an automatic weapon. The same is true for the resource officer at the elementary school my wife teaches at now.

I have to be that guy. No one in this case had an automatic weapon. Both the officer and the killer had semi automatic weapons. One used his one did not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Are they really though ? Also, say this happens anywhere else (say a bank): would any lone police officer be expected to charge towards or would protocoll demand he wait for backup ?

Sounds like a convenient scapegoat in line with the current (and very american) rhetoric of “more guns and harder, tougher, badder people standing their ground“ being the solution that is forming from up high, starting with Trump and advocated for loudly by the NRA. I mean, at least no one yet came out saying the kids could have prevented it if they were less soft or sth ...

It's pretty out there to expect anyone to engage here and acting like that is the Job they get paid for ...

That is precisely the job the officer signed up for and in fact swore an oath to do. To protect and serve the public interest at all costs, even his own life. That is Iiterally his job description.

And people keep using the word security officer and equating it with a mall security guard. Around here resource officers are full fledge pllice officers, have gone through the academy and actually have to pass a very detailed psych profile to ensure they relate to kids, and they are paid significantly more than other officers.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 02-22-2018 at 09:14 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote