View Single Post
Old 05-29-2005, 01:48 PM   #36
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick
Martin, at least for myself, has had the unfortunate situation of following after Robert Jordan's fall from grace. After that series, which I unfortunately became addicted to back in the Bush I administration, has dragged out, and frankly, lost much of the quality it originally had, I'm now waiting for that one to just finish, and I swore off spending money on any other fantasy series that isn't finished. (I have ASOIAF because I've asked for the books as gifts over the years) I've read the first two, liked them, but haven't gone more then 50 pages into book 3 yet simply because I'm sick and damn tired of authors taking 2-3 years to put something out.

And now Martin wrote so much he has to split the same amount of time into two books? Suckers. He's following the same path RJ did. (See books 5-10 for examples)

This is going to turn into another 12 book 20 year project. Maybe it's just the curse of making such a deep world, that if your name isn't Tolkien, you get sucked into more and more details as things slow to a crawl, both in publication and in plot movement.

I never read any Robert Jordan or any other modern fantasy series. Actually the last pure fantasy series I read were the Dragon Lance books. I pretty much stopped after the first six, which I think told the entire story if I recall.

I guess I had a similar experience with Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series, but that's all wrapped up now.

I will patiently wait for Martin to finish his books. His world is incredibly deep and he's in a bit of bind after "A Storm of Swords." The war in Westeros is pretty much done and many of his main characters are scattered to the four corners of the earth (Bran, Arya, Tyrion, etc.) and will have little or no connection with many of the other plotlines going forward.

I will hold off bitching about things until I read it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote