View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #178
cuervo72
Head Coach

Heh. I love that to reference the line you quoted the WHOLE shopping list.

Quote:
You don’t need milk, or large amounts of calcium, for bone integrity. In fact, the rate of fractures is highest in milk-drinking countries, and it turns out that the keys to bone strength are lifelong exercise and vitamin D, which you can get from sunshine.

I basically ditched milk as soon as I went Atkins - way too many empty carbs. (Of course, I still ate an assload of cheese. Less now.)

Started running a few months ago, and go to the orthopedist today...as I suspect I may have a stress fracture. Yeah, I know it's probably unrelated and has more to do with ramping up mileage too fast (and running a touch heavier than I should). But my knee-jerk reaction was "gah - I need to drink more milk!" It certainly is ingrained.

Quote:
This in a country where as many as 50 million people are lactose intolerant, including 90 percent of all Asian-Americans and 75 percent of all African-Americans, Mexican-Americans and Jews.

What of the Euro types that adapted to milk though? (Or apparently, even some Africans)

edit: found this interesting as well: http://anthro.palomar.edu/adapt/adapt_5.htm . I wonder if at some point we'll be able to blend genetics with nutrition to arrive at more detailed, personalized diets

Last edited by cuervo72 : 07-09-2012 at 07:59 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote