View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 08:17 AM   #361
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

Thumbs up

Today was an interesting development day. I got to dive back into the on-field real-time AI (which is my favorite!) and had another one of those fun moments where you realize it's working EXACTLY as it's supposed to, I'm just to dense to realize it.

Here's the situation, I'm refining the safety AI to make them more meaningful on the field. Safeties don't do a whole lot right now. After playing a few seasons in the development leagues, the role of the safety in this game is becoming a lot more clear. Safeties need to be the guys who stop those long TDs, run and pass. The game is so explosive on offense, there needs to be a counter to that. I imagine that a defense built around elite safeties would almost never give up a long TD, and that could be pretty meaningful.

So I'm updating the deep coverage AI to have safeties focus more on taking away the deep ball. If you look at the preSnap image (attached) you'll see I'm running a 2-deep coverage against a Hornet spread play. The numbers below each player represent Speed-Strength-Skill.

Now check out the postSnap image. This happened over and over again. WR Moody is always wide open, but S keep shading over to double Jefferson on the streak. The AI says that safeties should always try to cover the deepest WR unless someone is uncovered. I couldn't figure out why Moody was running uncovered, and no safety was coming over to help.

Oh yeah, look at Newman's speed and skill.

Duh. Moody isn't uncovered, he's just covered by the worst CB in the history of CBs. So the AI was working all along, I just can't draft a decent defense.

When I switched to a 4-deep zone against the spread, I could get the safety to cover Moody. Also, when I ran a 3-deep zone with the safety in the middle, I could cover Moody. In the end, it comes down to play design and selection, which is where I want it to be.

Funny how I'll freak out when it looks like the AI is broken, and it always ends up being my inability to draft.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg preSnap.jpg (239.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg postSnap.jpg (179.6 KB, 1 views)