View Single Post
Old 06-25-2023, 02:46 AM   #18
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

So I'll step out of character for a sec and add some color to this one:

Mostly, I'm messing around with an old MLB file that I've adapted and added leagues to over the years. It's different than the other 300+ year file I have (it was in the 400s but it kept crashing so I had to revert) this file only started in 1901 and has been going on since.

I started it as a historical dynasty, ended segregation much earlier (in the 30s I think) and have slowly moved along in the file since at least OOTP17 but there were points I mostly ignored this league.

The other day, I was thinking it'd be fun to operate in a third major league sort of space, but expanding the league to 40+ teams was hard to keep track of and it's also dispiriting that teams won't win titles at all in that setup maybe for 50+ years at a time, so that's what made me split the majors initially.

This third major league thing is mostly me riffing as I go, plus for purely immersive reasons, I'd love the idea of getting caught up in the historical storyline of a major league spending his whole career in Billings, Montana or something, financed by Saudi money because a Prince went to university in the US and fell in love with baseball.

It's ridiculous, but then I discovered through this dynasty that the Norwegian sovereign wealth fund used to own stakes in several major league teams including the Atlanta Braves, so at that point, nothing is weird anymore...and it's all just made up.

I have no idea where the story will land. OOTP doesn't do a great job with that "association" model when the leagues don't have the same schedules, so I had to get rid of the formal "tournament" where the leagues face off against each other, it just messes with the contracts and free agency too much.

One of the other quirks of my leagues of late, is juicing the stats to where everybody is kind of elite and ratings don't have any meaning so you have to look at stats. Seeing a guy as a 4 star or 5 star by ratings, but hitting under .200 and finding himself in the Indian League makes me wonder what happened, but if I look at his stats, the story was right there for me the whole time. I prefer playing that way, because it's closer to real life where I think everybody is elite on some level, but the truly super-elite manage to stand out among them, but in my model, it makes it more plausible when dudes come out of nowhere and end up good.

OOTP does this with talent change randomness, but I don't feel like it shows up as pronounced when you have ratings more traditional. It does, however, make historical eras and keeping stats somewhat normal extremely difficult. It means tolerating some seasons where guys do things that simply defy physics like strike out 400+ in a season or something absurd.

It does keep things interesting, though. So yeah, I'm just gonna keep thinking of storylines and writing them up. At some point, we might get more granular or find a smaller part of the story and focus on that, surely I'll end up moving a team or three, it's me after all.

Just having some fun with it, as it's just a massive distraction.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote