View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

WELCOME TO THE BIG LEAGUES, KID
I'm D.C. Daly, the 20-something G.M. of the Boston Yankees. The Yanks are a once proud franchise that have fallen on hard times in recent years. They've got exactly one playoff appearance since 1976 and besides that, we've just been terrible.

A graduate of Washington University in St. Louis, I was an intern with the ballclub during my 2nd year of college and I came back to work for them after college was over.

Last year, the owners approached me about becoming G.M. I actually laughed and said, "do you know what you're doing?" I'm comfortable enough with them to do that.

They said yeah. That the team hadn't been getting anywhere with the old stiffs they'd been employing and that no number of retreads was going to improve things.

Well, I waited for the off-season to come and nothing happened.

I got announced G.M. on March 2nd, just three weeks before the regular season starts.

Needless to say, the cupboard is bare and morale is low. I'm not expecting to work any magic and there won't be any miracles or rabbits pulled out of a hat. But it would not be good to take my first G.M. job and end up getting relegated out of the league in my first (and possibly last) year in the gig, so...I'm going to do my best to try to cobble some parts together with what we have.

I'm using SkyDog's OOTP settings for this universe, the DH is on and the rotations are 5-man, despite my penchant for 4-man rotations. Our active roster is 27-man, September callups are for 40-players, but the reserve roster is 43-man.

I also have low injuries on.

WHAT WE HAVE
SP Mike Love, 30
(23-7, 1.98, 290 K in 1999)

We just happen to have the reigning AL Cy Young award winner in tow. We went 87-75 last year, good enough for third place and only 1 game out of a playoff spot last year.

He's got three years left on a five-year deal he signed worth $39.3 million and I'm not letting him go anywhere.

Zach Mitchell, RF, 31 (.242, 26 HR, 65 RBI)

He won a Gold Glove in 1998 and was dealt here this past off-season from the Mets. My precedessor did that deal, not me. He's a good outfielder, though.

Juan Lopez, 1B, 37
He's got 377 career homers, but needless to say, he's on the last end of those. He hit .275 last year with 8 HRs and 65 RBI for us, his third full season with us.

Leo Gomez, CF, 33
Lefty hitter, hit .301 last year with 18 HR and 70 RBI. It was his sixth season with us.

---------------------
Like a few other guys, I won't deny that I'm looking at assessing what kind of value he might have and maybe pitch him off to the Continental League for prospects.

The skinny on our roster is that we're probably an injury or three away from being completely out of the race and in a different sort of race -- the race towards to the bottom of the standings.

So I think it's much more prudent to rebuild the roster from scratch, rather than try to acquire some spare parts to get to the playoffs, only to get bounced out in the first round or something.

Fans haven't seen a winner here in some time anyway, so..it's not like their expectations should be that high.

In terms of prospects, we have a few guys who might be promising down the line, but no one whose almost ready to go:
Quote:
SP Monfre Lourinho, 18, (Potential: 41/75/61)

MR Eric Alford, 21, LHP (Potential: 41/60/50)

CL Mark Sharp, 18, (Potential: 64/87/61)

2B Jeff Mavor, 18, (Potential: 82/47/60/58/67)

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-19-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote