Radii
Head Coach

First Round Day 2

New Jersey at Charlotte

CHA:NJN
83:78 OVR
79:77 OFF
81:81 DEF

We have home court, I guess that's done by record and not by seed. I've just returned to minor NBA viewing in the real world, so those details are not things I know offthe top of my head like I would for other sports/leagues. Neato!

First Quarter

Charlotte 18
New Jersey 15

slow quarter. We pound it in to Padgett early and he is very cold, shooting just 1-5, he has 3 points on a 3 point play. Wallace has 6 and was getting to the rim pretty easily early. Augustin hit a 3 and has 5. Josh Howard leads the Nets with 6. Harris only has 2 and picked up 2 fouls in 7 minutes. This was his problem last year, he swipes at everything and gets more reach in calls than anyone i've ever played against.

For the quarter, we shoot 36%, the Nets 33%.

Second Quarter

Charlotte 41
New Jersey 38

We lead the entire quarter, by as much as 7. Terrence Williams is the player ofthe half,just 6 points but he has 7 boards. Howard 6, Yi 6 off the bench, Lee 5 off the bench for the Nets. harris picked up a 3rd foul pretty quickly(a dumb shooting foul on Padgett).

Padgett heated up in the 2nd and has 10 points/4 boards. Augustin 6, Wallace 6, Allen 5, Felton 5. We're up to 43% shooting, New Jersey is at 38%. We're 3/9 from 3, hitting two that quarter.

Third Quarter

New Jersey 63
Charlotte 62

Devin Harris took over the game briefly, blowing by Felton at will and scoring or dishing. He now leads the Nets with 12. Terrance Williams has 11 points/8 boards, Howard 10,Lee 8. The NEts seemed to havea rash of offensive boards that quarter. Yeah, i check the stats, 7 offensive boards for New Jersey, 2 for us.

Padgett and Chandler both had solid quarters for Charlotte. Padgett leads all scorers now with 16, while Chandler has 10 and has a double double with 12 boards. Wallace 9, Allen 7, Augustin 6. Augustin was awful this quarter, cold as ice.

Fourth Quarter

8:45 to go - 71-65 New Jersey. We have a 3 from Ray Allen and they have 4 solid buckets on their end. A very bad start to the quarter.

6:50 to go - 71-69 New Jersey. We just had a chance to tie it up but Padgett's outlet pass sailed over Allen's head. Good defense though, we've held them scoreless the last few trips.

4:45 to go - Huge stretch here for us. We lead 78-73. Augustin hit a 3, Felton scored 4 straight and Chandler with a bucket inside. We're on a 13-2 run over the last 4 minutes.

4:15 to go - 3 for the Nets, 78-76. I sit Felton and Wallace briefly with at timeout. They need just a minute or so to rest before finishing it out.

2:45 to go - We have the ball, leading 83-80. Josh howard has the last 4 for the Nets, we just got a tough jumper from Diaw and a 3 from Augustin. I get a timeout and get all 5 starters on the floor for the duration.

1:55 to go - 85-82. We had a chance to go up 7 but a bad pass leads to a Harris layup instead. Our ball up 3.

1:15 to go - 85-84. Josh Howard again, he's on fire at this point.

0:55 to go - Awful, a terrible pass on our part leads to another fast break, this one ends in a Howard dunk and a foul by Wallace. Its now 87-85 New Jersey.

0:07.5 to go - Its still 87-85 New Jersey. Wallace missed on a drive to the hoop on our end, but we got a stop forcing Devin Harris into a bad shot. I call a timeout to try to tie things up in the final seconds.

0:04.4 to go - WOW! Inbounds to Felton, the D is way out of sorts, I feed Wallace who has a wide open lane and throws down a thunderous dunk. We're tied. New Jersey takes a timeout, now they have the last shot to win.

Welp. Sigh! Harris feeds Terrance Williams for a shot that is basically as easy as the dunk we just got from Wallace off of the inbounds play. New Jersey gets the last bucket and gets the big win in game one.

New Jersey 89
Charlotte 87

Padgett: 16 points/5 boards/3 blocks (7-17 shooting)
Wallace: 15 points/6 boards
Chandler: 14 points/13 boards
Augustin: 12 points
Allen: 10 points
Felton: 9 points/5 assists
Diaw: 6 points
Sparks: 4 points/8 boards
Henderson: 1 point

Josh Howard scores 22, just on fire in the 4th. Williams 19 points/8 boards. Devin Harris has 14 points and 9 assists. Lee and Outlaw 8 each.

I stuck to my gameplan based on my scouting, going to Padgett often, he took 5 more shots than anyone, and just did not hit quite enough of them. Augustin hit a couple big 3's in the 4th quarter and was 3-8 from deep. Allen was 2-6. Tough opening loss, we'll have to make up for it in game 2.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote