Old 04-20-2018, 04:54 PM   #230
sabotai
General Manager

20,000 Years In Sing-Sing (1932)

Directed By: Michael Curtiz
Starring: Spencer Tracy, Bette Davis, Louis Calhern
Length: 78 min.
Genre: Prison / Crime Drama

Tommy Connors (Spencer Tracy) is sent to Sing-Sing on robbery and assault His associate tells him he'll be taken care of while in prison, but the warden stops that before it gets started. Connors enters prison thinking he's going to own the place, but the warden's punishments work. Connors refuses to take part in an attempted jail break.

Meanwhile, his girlfriend Fay Wilson (Bette Davis) tries to keep the pressure up on Connors' associate Joe Finn to push for a new trial, but she ends up hurt in a car accident and isn't expected to live. The warden, now trusting Connors, allows him 1 day pass to go see her.

Turns out, the accident was no accident and Finn was responsible. Finn shows up, they get into a fight, and Fay shoots Finn. Connors takes the gun, flees, and eventually shows back up at the prison. He takes the fall for the shooting despite Fay's objections and is executed.

This movie was boring. It got going a little in the middle. Most of what I just described was Act 2. Acts 1 was the warden breaking Connors. The vast majority of Connors' antics are something you'd see in a high school drama. They were incredibly childish, and not at all menacing. He's a hardened criminal, but he's doing shit a punk in 9th grade would do.

Some nice action in the middle, like I said, and Act 3 was all waiting for his execution. 20 minutes of nothing happening, then he's dead.

My Rating: 3/10
IMDB User Rating: 7.1/10 (2k votes)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote