View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 09:09 AM   #284
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Has anyone played Phantom Doctrine? If so, any good?

Phantom Doctrine on Steam

I have Phantom Doctrine, played it a bit and my early reviews are pretty mixed. It's got a XCom 2 vibe without being as good as XCom 2, build up a team and send them on missions. The mechanics are a little strange, shots generally dont miss so it forces very stealth play. You cant be spotted or you'll be shot and probably killed, and you cant shoot or all the other guards will rush over and kill you. So you need to be stealthy, generally you'll have a two-person team so you'll mainly be avoiding combat. There is a fairly good mix of missions though. Definitely not a game to play on Ironman Mode.

It's a James Bond-like international conspiracy with two campaigns: one playing as a rogue CIA guy trying to stop it and one playing as a rogue KGB guy trying to stop it. I didnt get very far but at the risk of sounding disloyal to the West, the KGB campaign is better. I believe if you finish a campaign, it opens up a third campaign. I didnt stick with it long enough to get anywhere near ending a campaign though.

So there's a good game in there, but it has some strange gameplay choices and it looks like it's not going to get any better. Worth buying on a good sale, but not at full or near-full price.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote