View Single Post
Old 03-26-2007, 09:31 PM   #5
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

From the Radio, 4/25/61

And now.. it's talkin' baseball, with Dizzy Dean!

Sit down my friends, and let the ol'Dizzster pour ya a nice cold Schlitz beer, one of the finest beers it's been my pleasure to drink.. Schlitz beer, the official sponsor of Talkin Baseball With Dizzy Dean!

Well, Dizzsters, and Dizzettes, I've seen many things in all my years travelin around the majors, but this new Washington Senators team? Boy Howdy, I wouldn't believe it unless I saw it with my own two eyes, and even now I'm still havin trouble with it.

This team of has-beens, coulda-beens, and neverweres had a bit of steel in em when they signed The Mick and the Spoon to them, but if you told me before the season that the Senators would win 8 out of their first 12 games, I woulda had them men from the funny farm a huntin you! They've done it on the road too, winning 5 of 6 on the road so far, including yesterday's 15-2 shellackin of the high-faultin Boston Red Sox, at Fenway Park!

How are they doin it? I dunno, but it's not because of no million dollar players right now, it's because some players are havin weeks they'll remember as long as they live. Mickey Mantle, The Mick himself, is just above 200, but he might be a warmin up, I don't see how he couldn't get a mite bit warm with the rest of the team hot as a Georgia farm at high noon!

How about that Bubba Morton! That young man made the major leagues for the first time at age 30, and he gosh darn likes it playin in front of the people he grew up with, as he was the player of the week last week, hittin at a .591 pace with 3 homers to boot! He's only making $16,500, but he's sure playin like a millionaire! I hope that he can continue!

Their pitchin ain't a-nuthin home around, their ERA is up at 4.79 for the year, and if the Dizzster ever had that high an era, you bet the ol'skipper would have a somethin to say about that. But they're patient at the plate, most walks in the league so far, and hittin a cool as a spring mornin .291 at the plate!

I'm sure everybody's hopin that the Senators can keep it up, wouldn't it be a hoot to have some new team of folks you never heard of come in and win it all? But there's a bunch of mighty fine teams in the league this year, but I'm sure that the boys in the Capitol are livin the good life while they can.

Anyway, I need to wet my whistle with another delicious Schlitz Beer. This is Dizzy Dean, and we'll talk some more baseball again real soon!

Just a reminder, you can hear "Talkin Baseball" with Dizzy Dean every day on this fine radio station, sponsored by Schlitz Beer! Cold, Refreshing, who could want anything more from a beer? Make your next one a Schlitz!