View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012, 01:42 AM   #449
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Oct 5, 2013 (afternoon)
Blyth vs Harrogate, FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round

We're 4:6 favorites today, with a lifetime record of 1-1-1 against them . The loss was earlier this season, 1-0 on the road, and our supporters haven't gotten over it yet. With the board expecting us to reach at least the fourth round of the competition this year, the supporters upset with another loss might be the least of my worries. We'll be 4-4-2 Diamond Standard to start, might be even more aggressive if it seems necessary to avoid the lackluster outing we had against them most recently.

GK: McDonald
D: Holden, Williamson, Seery, Groves
MF: Whitaker, Higgins, Ricketts, Sawyer
F:Mutero, Cofie
Available Subs: (Jones, Paratore, Clarke-Harris, Purvis, Slaughter, Bembo-Leta, Dovey)

3' - Groves is a whirlwind early, controlling the flow in the offensive end (surprisingly), chases down a loose ball, plays give & go with Sawyer ... gets it back & crosses to Cofie in the box ... GOAL! (1-0) ... a flying start
9' - Groves is hobbled, got taken down hard
18' - Harrogate has to sub MF Hayward, he was dumped by Ricketts and got a boo-boo

Halftime: Cofie does it again, but can we make it hold up? Mutero & Whitaker are playing poorly, Groves is trying to keep us alive. Outshot 5-2 but both ours have been on target vs none of theirs. Poss. is 48-52 their favor, neither team is passing well at all. Let's go give 'em something to cheer boys.

58' - Turnbull spins & blasts one from 30 yards out ... right past McDonald (1-1)
66' - We blink first and sub Paratore for Higgins
85' - Whitaker with a free kick from the left edge of the area ... gives it to Cofie to the left of the spot ... wheels & deals ... GOAL ! (2-1)
86' - Sub Purvis for Groves (spent), Slaughter for Ricketts (tiring, yellow card)
Switch to Defensive
89' - 3 mins added time ... switch to Contain
93' - McDonald makes a save on a long blast from the left wing

Fulltime: Blyth 2 - Harrogate 1

Whew. Got outshot 10-7 but actually controlled play in the 2nd half, ending up with 53% of poss. Seery was great defensively, 12/14 in the air. Cofie was again huge on the other end for us.

McDonald 6.7
Holden 7.1, Williamson 6.9, Seery 6.8, Groves 7.2+1a
Whitaker 6.9+1a, Higgins 6.1, Ricketts 6.8, Sawyer 6.9
Mutero 6.0, Cofie (MOM) 8.8+2g
Subs: Paratore (67') 6.9, Purvis (86') and Slaughter (86') N/A

Oct 5, 2013 (postmatch)
We're awarded $7,940 for our win. Moreover we didn't get burned in effigy for a loss.