View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 09:08 PM   #500
Radii
Head Coach

April 11th, 2017

Woking (22-12-7, 2nd) @ Oldham(21-12-8,3rd)

Oldham are huge favorites today, 4:6 compared to our 7:2. Back in November we took a 2-0 lead in the first 30 minutes, giving one goal back int he 62nd, and allowing the tying goal in extra time.

"Oldham Boss Sean Gregan has openly wondered ... whether head coach Richard Dixon has what it takes to ensure woking will be in the running for promotion"

-- I choose to respond to these comments by hyping the upcoming match in general, pointing out that this match is huge and we need players coaches and fans to give it their all for 90+ minutes to get a win.

GK: Lynch
D: Nikolaou/Taylor/Marc/Ogogo
MC: Upson/Cook
AM: Harsanyi/N'Guessan
FC: Subotic/Constantino

Oldham's Billy Paynter leads them with 16 goals and Craig Davies has 12 goals. He scored the extra time goal to tie it in our first meeting. We bring Upson back in, Harsanyi starts at AML since Colin is out, and Subotic gets the start at forward. Standard mindset against a good team on the road today.

8': The first highlights show Oldham attacking, they take a wild long range shot for the first shot of the match that is way wide.

12': We earn a corner, its taken in and pushed back out wide, Upson recovers it and crosses to the far post, Marc is there, the keeper is out of position, he heads it, but heads it over towards the keeper instead of straight on and in, shoulda scored there.

14': They counter, Paynter puts a through ball into the area, midfielder Ambrose runs onto it perfectly and he's got a free look at Lynch, he goes near post and beats our keeper. 0-1

16': We try to attack but they win the ball as we're setting up, a long ball goes forward to their man Davies, Lynch aggressively comes out and blocks a shot all the way out past 15 yards from the goal.

17': We send a ball ahead ot Constantino, he gets free and takes a shot from about 20 yards out, the keeper has no chance... but it hits the crossbar and bounds away.

30': They're packing it in hard, we win a corner here, but its cleared easily.

34': Free kick from 25 yards out a bit left, Upson takes it, it deflects off the wall and goes out just wide, we almost got a lucky bounce there, but no. Corner is taken and we earn a second corner. We earn a throw after that but they get it away.

HALF: Like our last match we trail 1:0 at the half. Their defense has been solid, ours has too minus one critical mistake. They have 4 shots, we have 8, but just 2 on target. We have 67% of the possession and while they are really pulling their defense in tight we are getting forward so much I think we'll break through if nothing else changes. We'll change to an attacking mindset to try even harder here.

55': We earn a corner, its taken to the near man who sends it back out wide, Upson crosses, the keeper comes out but he doesn't get the ball, N'Guessan is there and he wins the header and its into the open net!!! 1-1

57': I drop back to the standard mindset. All out attacking scares me a little. I've also issued the "work ball into box" instruction, we're controlling it non stop, lets take our time and not settle for long shots.

61': After a few passes back and forth Upson hits N'Guessan with a ball into the area, N'Guessan has a clear cut chance but he's pretty close to the keeper and can't get it by him, the keeper makes a nice save.

64': Harsanyi has it out wide, he gets it to Constantino who sees an opening and shoots from 20 yards out, the keeper just gets his fingers to it and guides it up off the crossbar... so close.

70': Zatara in for a tired Harsanyi, Alcock in for a tired N'Guessan, Alcock to DR, Ogogo AMR. I trust those guys to play well but I want Upson and Cook doing more than them... I issue the "exploit the middle" instruction.

80': Vince Taylor collides with one of their attackers going after a ball and he has to come out immediately... Chester is in.

84': They get the ball forward after Ogogo loses possession in the midfield, we rush back to defend, they get it into the area, they have a man on the left side who should be able to get a shot but not from a great angle, Ogogo comes in and tries to tackle it away... and its a penalty... they score. Wow. 1-2

87': We try to attack, Upson has it, sends it wide right for Alcock, he tries to play a low cross, it hits an Oldham defender and bounces into the middle of the penalty area. It was a pretty shitty cross to be honest. But Constantino is the fastest man out there, and how often is he the first to the loose ball? He's there, and he finds the opening and blasts it by the keeper!!! 2-2

We tied at home thanks to an extra time goal from them. We tied on the road thanks to an 87th minute goal off a wacky deflection of a really poor cross. I guess we're even.

Oldham 2 : 2 Woking

Man of the Match: Ed Upson (8.4)
Goals: N'Guessan (7.6), Constantino (6.9)
Assists: Upson, Alcock (6.9)
Notables: Nikolaou (7.1), Cook (7.0)

Ogogo has a 5.3 rating, he really had a terrible finish to the match after we moved him forward.

Injury Update

Vince Taylor has an ankle injury. I can give him an injection that will allow him to play vs Crystal Palace or just leave him to the physios and he's out 4 weeks and probably doesn't play again this season. Who wouldn't want to play against Crystal Palace in this situation? Of course he gets the injection.

Woking have guarenteed themselves a Coca-Cola League 1 playoff place -- woooooohooooooooooooo

Crystal Palace and Gillingham both win today. That means our chances of winning the league are almost gone, and Gillingham remains a threat to try to take second.

With 4 to go (unless otherwise noted)

1. Crystal Palace - 87 pts
2. Woking - 79 pts
--------------------------
3. Oldham - 76 pts
4. Gillingham - 75 pts
5. Stockport - 71 pts (5 matches remaining)
6. Rochdale - 66 pts (5 matches remaining)
--------------------------
7. Wigan - 66 pts
8. Swindon - 60 pts

We know first is extremely unlikely but if they beat us next match they would clinch first outright. We don't want them to clinch the title in that fashion. Oldham goes on the road to play Wigan, Gillingham hosts #21 Rotherham next.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote