View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #64
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
What do you see as the major benefit? After putting in a whitelist exception for about 90% of the sites I visit, I decided not to bother. And that doesn't even count the countless forms I've filled out before finding out that noscript was going to eat the form submission and make me do it all over again.

The main reason noscript is a must have for me and my systems at home is I have very little control over the sites that my wife visits and with more and more of them taking advantage of flash exploits, real player exploits, etc. to load spyware, trojans, etc on your system without any warning or prompting (through the use of iframes, etc) noscript kills the majority of those.

Obviously I try to keep the systems patched as best as possible, but noscript takes away the extra chance that some exploit or issue might be found. I haven't found any sites that noscript does not work with yet, if I hit a site with scripting, I can enable it if I deem it is safe fairly easily (with just a right click basically)...

It is the universal balance between security and usability. As I am in networking security for a living, I probably err more on the side of security than other normal users might. I just like to play it safe these days

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote