View Single Post
Old 04-22-2020, 04:05 PM   #4
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

15 August 2015, revisited

Two weeks into the season, the game froze, and the only way to get it unstuck was to exit the game completely. Then, when I restarted FM and tried to reload the game, it wouldn't open. I think I probably messed with the file too much.

I decided to begin again, without the edited Landon Donovan (who might have been responsible for the crash). The idea of filling the football world with teenage wonderkids, like Duncan Edwards, was very tempting. I decided to add only two: Edwards, and a young Johann Cruijff. Both were free agents as the story began. Edwards is 17 and Cruijff 18, so while they're undoubtedly destined for stardom, they're both a long way from that point.

The kids and I tried to recreate most of our team from last time, but we weren't able to make that happen. We couldn't persuade Frank Lampard to sign, and Michael Bradley picked Arsenal instead. We also decided to be a little more "realistic," and avoided making too many signings right away.

So, here's the revised edition of Boston Minutemen, 2015/16. Once again, I hired Jay Heaps as my assistant manager, so the star ratings come from him.

Goalkeepers

I have the same goalkeeping pair, so we're very well situated between the posts.

It was a bit tougher to sign Cillessen this time; Ajax drove a harder bargain, and it took about $12 million to prise him loose.

Bingham seems to be valued much higher this time around. I wonder if he's really a much better player, too?

Unfortunately, we don't have an especially talented young 'keeper this time.

Full Backs

We got Friend from Middlesbrough again, and he'll be a fixture at left back. Homegrown right back Espinoza is an exceptionally well-rounded footballer with a professional mindset and a tireless work rate.

Young is a serviceable backup, with lots of pace. Medina has the makings of a future star, and I'll make sure he gets game time with the reserves. Barrett is a versatile spare part who can play anywhere on the back line.

Center Backs

The Keane-Miazga pairing is intact, and I was able to sign Keane for less money this time ($15 million). Keane is the more cultured player, but Miazga is far from a lumbering brute.

I heard about Madsen from one of our scouts, after he played extremely well for Strømsgodset in the EURO Cup qualifiers. He is an excellent third center back, good enough to play regularly if I chose to move Keane to right back.

Barrett is available here, and then there's Dombrowski. My staff rate his potential as highly as those of players like Cillessen, Edwards, and Cruyff. He'll play in the cups, and he's definitely a name to keep an eye on.

Central Midfielders

This time around, we'll look for Edwards to play a much bigger role from the beginning. It's a big ask for a player so young, but I think he could be a special talent.

In our usual three-man midfield, he'll be joined by de Jong and our latest acquisition, Klaassen. De Jong gives us plenty of defensive steel, while Klaassen, signed from Ajax for $11.25 million, is a classy, creative force.

Backing them up are two very solid, all-purpose midfielders, Metzger and Pfeffer. Both are comfortable in more dynamic roles, or as steady, reliable midfield presences.

Wide Midfielders

All three of our best wide men are natural left wingers, but only one can play there. All three of them prefer using their right foot, too.

I brought Pulisic back, and in our current team, he fits best on the right wing. Even at 16, he has ability to take on defenders, beating them on the dribble or making an incisive pass.

Contreras is first choice on the left side. He's our captain, a Minuteman from boyhood, a true professional, with enough pace and athleticism to present an attacking threat.

Carey can only play on the left, which limits his usefulness. He's a slightly less talented version of Contreras.

I'll say more about Cruijff in a moment.

Center Forwards

Cruijff doesn't have lots of pace, but his technical skill and his approach to the game are already exceptional. In my usual 4-1-2-3 Wide DM formation, he fits best as our front man. However, to label Cruijff a striker seems to limit the scope of the player he could become.

Cruijff might be best suited to play as a number 10; if I use him there, then perhaps Klaassen leads the line. He's perhaps even less of a true center forward than Cruijff, but he can do a job there.

The other option is Graham, who is very fast and a sure finisher.

Final Thoughs
Without setting out to do so, I assembled a squad with a strong Dutch presence in its spine: Cillessen, de Jong, Klaassen, Cruijff. They are our four best players now, and since Klaassen is 22 and Cruijff only 18, they should be stars for the next decade or more.

Then there are Edwards, Pulisic, and Dombrowski, even younger than Cruijff and almost as promising. In fact, de Jong is the team's oldest player, and he's only 30.

I like the solid, young team we've put together. It will be fun to see how far we can go.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 04-25-2020 at 12:10 AM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote