View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 08:53 PM   #31
Atocep
Coordinator

I can't see how Pitt would be a good choice for the Big 10 and I don't think the loss of them kills the Big East by any means. I don't think there's any one team that's holding the Big East together. It certainly hurts, but Pitt's fanbase isn't much better than some C-USA teams; which is why this is an odd choice for the Big 10.

As was mentioned earlier, the worry would be a potential domino effect. If some of the other schools see it as time to bail on the conference then there could be trouble.

For the Big East ECU or UCF probably makes the most sense followed by Memphis if they're serious about improving their facilities and marketing the football program, but Memphis isn't ready right now. I have a hard time seeing Temple coming back. Marshall is struggling to keep up with facilities/revenue in CUSA so they'd be a terrible pick for the Big East at this point.

In the end, if this is the only team leaving then the Big East is fine. They aren't losing their BCS bid over this as no non-BCS conference is really close to the Big East from top to bottom.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote