View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 02:55 PM   #18020
Edward64
Head Coach

Interesting poll from CBS.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/most-am...cbs-news-poll/
Quote:
A majority of Americans (59%) disagree with what the president said in his tweets last week about four Democratic congresswomen of color, including 44% who disagree strongly with what he said. But 40% of the country agrees with what Mr. Trump said. "'Progressive' Democratic Congresswomen" should "go back" to their countries, he tweeted last Sunday.

Quote:
Whites are split: 41% call them racist, and 41% do not. However, among African-Americans, 76% describe the tweets as racist, as do a 54%-majority of Hispanics. There are age differences too: people over 65 are three times as likely to strongly agree with what the president said than are Americans under 30. And younger Americans are more likely than older Americans to call the tweets racist.
:
Most Republicans feel the ideas expressed in the tweets were pro-American, and 70% feel they were not racist.

Not captured in the text but in the charts, 42% of Independents agree with his tweet.

It doesn't surprise me there is a divide between GOP and Dems but pretty surprised at the Independents who I assumed would lean more to the left. 40-42% range agreeing with Trump is pretty significant and supports that Trump is striking a chord.

I see the word racist around quite a bit here. Below is a definition FWIW.

What is Racism? | ADL
Quote:
Racism is the belief that a particular race is superior or inferior to another, that a person’s social and moral traits are predetermined by his or her inborn biological characteristics. Racial separatism is the belief, most of the time based on racism, that different races should remain segregated and apart from one another.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote