View Single Post
Old 07-21-2015, 07:10 PM   #208
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Because the thing is, he's not acting in the best interest of the taxpayers. To the extent THAT'S a thing, it's superficial.

Actually he is. He removed something that could be used to leverage more money out of taxpayers. It was shrewd, but if you want your representatives to find the best value for your tax dollars, it was a good move long term.

Quote:
Just what do you call it when the governor proposes cutting higher education funding by $300 million and taking out $300 million in loans that the state won't begin to repay for 13 years, to pay for a new basketball arena for billionaire ownership that doesn't want to fund it themselves? The state will be incurring interest for THIRTEEN YEARS before the first check is written to pay down that debt, and it's to build the Bucks a new arena. Sports facilities are a shell game. They don't ever return the kind of economic benefits sports franchise owners claim they will when they insist cities should foot the bill.

The State of Wisconsin even after cuts still spends thousands more per student each year than most OECD countries. Wisconsin remains in the top half of the country in education spending per student. Teacher salaries remain in the top half of the country too.

I don't think adding more money to teacher's salaries and benefits packages somehow translates to better students these days.

Quote:
Why? He had tax cuts to hand out, dummy. Who needs things like infrastructure when you can be a tax cut champion?

I don't necessarily agree with the tax cuts. But Wisconsin was heading in a bad direction years ago. Enormous structural deficit and struggling to pay off outstanding debt. That has for the most part turned around.

Maybe I'm sensitive to it because I live in a state that did the exact opposite. Unions got whatever they wanted and the state is now in a position where it can't be fixed.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote