View Single Post
Old 06-30-2007, 03:49 PM   #19
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshaw View Post
If you need any assistance/info/tips/links, www.tuaw.com is a great resource for Mac/iPhone stuff.

forums.macrumors.com too.

Thanks. That's good info to have. I'm eagerly awaiting for the first hacks to be announced. If I could install an SSH client or Skype, I'd be in heaven.

As for the phone part of it, it works like a champ. Nothing special to report on the calls themselves, which is the way it should be. The "visual voicemail" is really slick. I don't know how other people usually keep voice mails, but I'm a bit of a packrat. This allows you to keep VMs and only go back and listen to specific messages. Think of voice mail now working like your email inbox.

I did notice a bit of strange behavior when I hooked it up to the iPod connector in my car. If I don't put it into iPod mode before connecting, it locks up the iPhone. And, once everything is connected, I get a message that the accessory isn't designed to work with an iPhone, and to set the iPhone to airplane mode.

For those that send a lot of text messages, it keeps a history, much like sending IMs.

Google mail was easy enough to set up, and I was able to get connected pretty easily to work email. There are a couple of VPN options for folks that need to connect that way.

There are a few things I wish it could do (or I haven't figured out yet):

No custom ringtones
No custom backgrounds
No Skype client (like AT&T will ever allow that)
For some reason, they made the headphone jack recessed, so most headphones won't be able to plug in without an extension
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote