View Single Post
Old 07-31-2016, 03:55 PM   #453
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Review of The Legacy of Vashna –

Well I used Kai-Screen a ton. Also Animal Mastery a lot early (I wonder if I would have pulled it out a few more times If I hadn’t taken the boat). And Kai-Alchemy a lot too. In fact, I used my skills more often to avoid combat than any other thing. We skipped past a lot of combats. I only had the forced one against the Vortexi. And then no more until the very end when I’m sent to the Plane of Darkness and then to the final battles here. That’s it. Pretty simple.

I don’t think the combat was too balanced either. As I showed you, even someone without the Sommerswerd can take this stuff out.

Here, let me give you an example:

Suppose you started with Plague Lords and was just doing the Grand Master series. You rolled a 5. That’s 30 starting CS, +3 for the books you’ve done. That’s 33 CS. Now if you have Grand Weaponmastery, that’s a +5 bonus – 38 base. If you have Kai Surge, you get +8 and lose one EP each combat. That gives you a 45 CS base. You already have a +5 vs the Acolytes, the Vortexi, -3 vs the Zarthyn, and +1 vs the Lavas, just as a few examples, and -5 vs Cadak at the end. Use the upgraded Kai- Surge to do the 4 EP for you to swap 2-18 EP from Cadak each round, and he dies soon with his low EP. And you deal +1 EP each round of combat with the Grand Weaponmastery bonuses. You are winning this book with a 45 CS, having played the game, and all you need is Kai Surge and Grand Weaponmastery to do it. Add in Kai-Screen, Animal Mastery, Kai-Alchemy to skip past a bunch of fights, and then whatever else you want and you are not having a problem with this book. And even here we don’t have issues with the Sommerswerd’s balance, because you have this without it.

Now, having said that, I do like the central concept of the book, and when you are banished to the Plane of Darkness out of the blue, I thought that was a nice touch. Anyways, let’s head to the next book!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote