View Single Post
Old 08-04-2016, 10:55 PM   #473
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

(The book asks me if I have been to the Isle of Ghosts before. Actually, I have in earlier runs through Book 10, but not the most recent iteration in this dynasty and run through, so no, I’ve not been there)

Squatting upon a plinth of stone arising from out of the floor is a huge, sabre-toothed, jackal-like creature with cream-coloured skin. Ice sheens on its muscular body and wisps of black smoke curl from its snuffling snout.

‘Prepare for death, lowly mortal,’ growls this creature, as it steps from the risen plinth. ‘I, Tagazin, am the deliverer of your destruction!’

The unexpected sound of its voice sends a shiver of dread coursing down your spine. Your Kai instincts tell you that this supernatural creature is slave to Ixiataaga—he is the Deathlord’s loyal companion.

Venom drips from his bared fangs and murder glows darkly from the depths of his nightmarish eyes as slowly he stalks towards you.

(Holy crap. I quaff all of my EP stuff in case it’s about to get serious with a demon lord)

“Hold, fell demon!’ you shout, hoping to arrest his determined advance, but Tagazin merely sneers with disdain at your command. He stalks closer and you see knife-sharp talons extending from his hairless paws. From the gruesome expression on his face, clearly he is relishing the thought of rending you limb from limb. As you reach for your weapon, you consider using your psychic skills to preempt his imminent attack.

(I have both KS and Sun Lord)

You look into the eyes of the approaching Demonlord and muster all your strength to summon a pulse of psychic energy. The pulse forms a radiant ball of power which speeds across the chamber and slams into Tagazin’s mind, making him flinch and falter.

(I toss a 5)

Tagazin quickly recovers from your psychic attack and launches himself through the air at you, his clawed paws outstretched in readiness to tear your flesh.

Demonlord Tagazin: COMBAT SKILL 55 ENDURANCE 60

Before commencing the combat procedure, reduce your enemy’s ENDURANCE points score by the number you have noted in the margin of your Action Chart. You may use Kai-surge again to aid you during this combat. This being is immune to all forms of psychic attack, except Kai-surge and Kai-blast

So it looks like this may be a Sommerswerd fight. But he has 50 EP now, and I only need to bring him down to 25 or less. So let’s not risk it. I can do this. I use KS and hit him for 10 damage and (I take 4) and then I toss a 8 against our -6 CS and we lose 2 to his 8. Then I use it again for 11 damage and I toss a 5 and We each lose 4. I took 15 total, and I gained 10 from my items, and many passages, so I am at 24/50 right now and knocked him to 24.

Your desperate combat is interrupted by a whirling gale-force wind. It arises in the centre of the chamber and accelerates like a cyclone around the walls, separating you from your enemy and hurling you both to the floor.

Suddenly, the air crackles and seethes with static power. A dark shape is taking form at the centre of the raging cyclone, a shape which radiates an intense aura of evil. It solidifies into a tall, black-robed torso surmounted by a goat-like skull. Where there should be eye sockets you see fiery cores of scarlet energy. Fear grips you with its icy hand when you smell the stench of death and corruption that hangs heavy around this dread being. You are in no doubt that you are now in the presence of the Deathlord of Ixia.

Tagazin whimpers like a frightened pup and slinks towards his master, his head bowed in fearful subservience. The Deathlord removes the Deathstaff from inside his funereal robe and holds it on high. Tagazin freezes in his tracks and his whole body trembles violently—he is clearly petrified of his master’s wrath. Ixiataaga sweeps the air with the evil staff, and in a terrifying instant, both you and Tagazin are lifted by the raging wind and hurled into the dark abyss that is the Shadow Gate.

(Back to the Plane of Darkness. Might as well use my good sword again, and remember, it has a +4 CS here)

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote