View Single Post
Old 08-05-2016, 12:19 AM   #476
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The second wave of Lavas come swooping down en masse, the terrific beat of their wings forcing you and the Demonlord apart. Shielding your eyes from the stinging dust-choked wind, you look up and see that the Lavas leader is cradling the curious spiked metal bowl in its horny hands. He descends towards Tagazin and inverts it, and suddenly you realize its true purpose and design. It is a helm of power, affixed on top with a crystal spike. The Lavas places the helm upon the Demonlord’s head and the spike begins to glow menacingly.

Now all of the Lavas ascend into the sky where they wait to view a confrontation which is about to commence. Suddenly Tagazin, revitalized by the power of the spiked helm, comes charging at you with his head lowered, snorting gruffly like a maddened bull.

Pick a number from the Random Number Table. If you possess Grand Huntmastery or Grand Pathsmanship, add 3 to the number you have picked.

(I toss a 9 and make it easily)

Your swift reflexes save you from being impaled upon the tip of the spiked helm. Tagazin goes charging past in a cloud of dust but, as you roll over and spring to your feet, you see that he has already made his turn and is bearing down for a second time.

Demonlord Tagazin (with Power Helm): COMBAT SKILL 55 ENDURANCE 48

This being is immune to all forms of psychic attack, except Kai-surge and Kai-blast.

(Wow. I needed to make that toss! Ah well. Here we go. I am throwing the psionic blast at him for…13 for him, 4 for me. And then….I toss a 5 for 11 more for him and 3 for me 7 total for me and 24 for him. Wow that’s half of his life. I decide to hold off on the Blast this turn and just do normal combat. I toss a 6 again and he takes 12 for my 2. A 5 follows for 11 and 3. Finally I finish him with a 7 and 1. I took 10 that battle, gained two from the passages, and now I am at 9/50)

At the instant you strike Tagazin the killing blow, his body shatters into a million frozen pieces which cascade to the ground. The spiked helm drops on top of his pile of smashed remains, crowning them, as if it were a marker fashioned for the Demonlord’s grave.

You look skywards to see the second wave of Lavas wheeling away in shocked disarray. They are visibly stunned by your unexpected victory and they flee to the safety of the clouds, fearful of tempting the fate that has befallen Tagazin

You stare at the spiked helm and a strange sense of purpose forms in your mind. You know that this artefact is wholly Evil, yet you have the curious notion that it could also be put to use in the cause of Good. Your Kai instincts tell you that this helm was forged and fashioned by Naar, the Dark God, and that its power is such that it can destroy most beings, living or dead. It may even be powerful enough to destroy Deathlord Ixiataaga.

You pick up the helm and, with a swift and violent action, you smash it onto the ground. The crystal spike snaps cleanly from the top of the helm and you stow it in your belt. (Record this Special Item on your Action Chart as a Power Spike, which you carry in your belt. If you already carry the maximum number of Special Items permissible, you must discard another in favour of this one.)

Resolutely, you turn and walk towards the Shadow Gate. As you leap into its spinning core, you pray that you will arrive back on Magnamund with time enough to thwart the Deathlord’s evil plan.

(Yes I take the Power Spike)

The howling winds of the void rip at your face and clothing as you plummet into the core of the lightless abyss. You lose all sense of time until, in the remote distance, you see tiny motes of light come streaking towards your face. Then, as suddenly as it began, the sensation of falling through deep space is replaced by an abrupt cessation of movement.

Stunned and disorientated, you shake your head and rise uneasily to your feet. As your blurred vision clears, you see that you have returned to the chamber of the Crystal Spire from where you were first sent tumbling into the Shadow Gate. It is empty now. Fearing the worst, you use your Kai skills to determine the time and the date. To your immediate relief you discover that only a few hours have elapsed during your absence from Magnamund; it is still possible for you to achieve your quest.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote