View Single Post
Old 08-05-2016, 12:45 AM   #480
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

(Yes thanks Joe. You make that death so anticimatic. Anyways we’ll assume that I had normal EP and didn’t have to -1 and my 4 stands and…)

You emerge from the Crystal Spire with barely seconds to spare. As you descend the main ramp which leads away into the streets of Xaagon, the great archway disintegrates completely, bringing with it a vast section of the foundation wall. This collapse begins a chain reaction of destruction that culminates in the spectacular fall of the upper spire, which crashes down upon the city like some massive crystal tree felled at the roots.

You run without stopping, through the quaking streets to the shattered west gate, and then onwards through the deepening snow towards the narrow mountain pass. You are more than a mile from the walls of Xaagon when eventually you stop to rest and survey the destruction you have left behind.

From a vantage point on a rocky, snow-swept ridge, you watch the stupendous spectacle that is the fall of Xaagon. One by one, its walls, buildings, and crystal towers implode and collapse until less than a handful remain. When the destruction is over, the black skies brighten and the fierce electrical storms abate. For the first time in ten thousand years, sunlight pierces the perpetual cloud cover of Ixia and brings warmth to this frozen land.

Greatly heartened by the success of your mission, you set off westwards and retrace your original route through the mountains to the ice-caverns on the southern coast. When you arrive there, you are greeted by an unmoving tableaux of skeletal warriors, each one frozen in the action it was performing at the time of the Deathlord’s destruction. You are eager to return to Fort Azgad as soon as possible, and to this end, you descend to the underground lake where the Ixian ice-boats are moored.
You reach the subterranean lake and go aboard an ice-boat moored alongside the stone jetty. With the demise of the Deathlord and his necromantic power, you are fearful that these vessels may no longer be serviceable; their sorcerous engines could prove to be as immobile as the warriors who stand like frozen statues all around the shore of the lake. But, fortunately, your fears turn out to be groundless.

You quickly discover that these ice-boats are propelled by Ixian witchcraft, an arcane art far older and more benign than the Deathlord’s vile necromancy. Having satisfied yourself that your chosen vessel is seaworthy, you cast off its hawser and steer it away from the jetty towards the wide cave mouth which opens out into the stormy Tozaz Sea. The elation of victory is still buoying your spirits, yet there is a nagging unease in the back of your mind that not everything is as it should be.

Guided by your Kai instincts and the night stars, you set a southerly course for Azgad Island. The Tozaz Sea is unusually calm for most of this lonely voyage, and hazards are few … until the dawn of your second day at sea.

Through the grey winter’s gloom you see the unwelcome sight of the Tozaz iceberg field stretching across the southern horizon. At first it looks impenetrable, but as you sail closer you identify two breaks in the ice-field that could be the beginnings of passages through to the far side.

(south west or south east? SW is the right direction)

Your chosen passage is wide and deep the whole way, enabling you to navigate a course through the ice-field with ease. Within three hours of entering, you emerge on the far side without a scratch and are able to continue your voyage to Fort Azgad without further delays.

Two days out from the Tozaz ice-field, you catch sight of Fort Azgad. After the ordeal of Ixia, the sight of this spartan little outpost is one of the most welcoming you have ever seen. The garrison salutes you as you bring your ship to the quayside where Lord Ardan, Captain Lanza, and Prarg are all waiting to welcome you back.

Warmly they congratulate you, praising your inspired act of courage and bravery but you sense that all is not well. The feeling of unease which haunted you upon leaving the ice-caverns of Ixia has returned.

‘Where’s Banedon?’ you ask of Lord Ardan. ‘Is something wrong?’

Ardan’s face grows as sombre as his reply. ‘King Ulnar sent word to Sarnac’s court, summoning the Guildmaster to return urgently to Sommerlund. It is grave news, I’m afraid, Grand Master. In your absence, your country has been attacked. The Dark God, Naar, has sent forth a host of dragon-creatures to destroy the Second Order of the Kai and lay waste to your homeland. It is said his new minions are confident of swift victory for they are sure you will never defeat the Deathlord of Ixia.’

‘I must leave for Sommerlund at once,’ you say, looking to the eastern horizon. ‘My brethren and my country need me.’

The others nod in silent agreement. ‘We will do all we can,’ replies Lord Ardan, ‘to speed your passage home.’

The news of your country’s plight comes as a terrible shock. In Ixia, you have won a great and lasting victory against the forces of Evil, but could the cost be too great? You fear, also, for the lives of your young Kai acolytes. The Second Order are worthy Kai warriors but they are young, their mettle yet to be tested in the furnace-heat of battle. You pray to Kai himself that they be strong enough to resist Naar’s newest champions, at least until you return.

The challenge of the long journey home and the quest to save the Second Order of the Kai from the deadly wrath of Naar’s newest champions awaits you in the next Grand Master adventure, entitled:

Dawn of the Dragons

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote