View Single Post
Old 08-10-2016, 11:24 PM   #495
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

You have covered more than half a mile when you chance a glance over your shoulder. To your dismay you see that you are being pursued by a snarling pack of wolf-like creatures with drooling fangs and eyes that gleam menacingly in the darkness. An icy chill invades your heart. These are no ordinary hunting hounds—these are hellish beasts born of a dark sorcery.

Soon you reach the tributary bridge that is lined with statues, and you catch sight of the twinkling lights of Scade about a mile beyond. The feral pack are closing fast and you know that your encumbered horse cannot outpace them indefinitely. You must do something to delay them, if you and Nathor are to escape in one piece.

(I don’t have Magi-Magic, but I do have a high rank and KS)

You cross to the far side of the river and wait there as the first few wolf-creatures come racing towards the bridge. The pack leader is a massive brute with ghastly yellow eyes that seem to follow your every move. The moment he reaches the bridge approach, you focus your psychic power at the nearest statue. Your concentrated pulse of psychic energy shatters this sculpture with devastating effect, peppering the hellish beast with razor-sharp shards of stone.

(I toss a 5)

The pack leader is torn to shreds by the blast, and several of his followers are left mortally wounded. The sight of their injuries, coupled with the deafening sound of the unexpected explosion, is more than the remaining pack members can bear. With a howl of fear and frustration, they turn away and race back to the safety of Castle Tranius.

(That was an awesome ability)

You ride to Scade with all the speed your exhausted horse can muster and return at once to the Lucky Bucket Inn where the remaining members of the troop are billeted. The news of your encounter at Castle Tranius comes as a shock, both to the troopers and to the innkeeper who fears for the safety of the real Knight Tranius.

‘I haven’t seen him in the town for near-on a week,’ he says, anxiously rubbing his many chins. ‘We ’ere had no inkling that somethin’ bad was happenin’ up there at the castle. It’s right put the shakes up me, I can tell you.’

In the warm comfort of the inn, you use your Kai healing skills to mend the Lord Constable’s injuries. He is carefully testing his weight on his newly-mended ankle when suddenly there is a commotion outside in the street. An angry mob of hard-faced men, many clutching torches, staves, and coils of rope, are marching down the cobbled avenue towards the inn.

‘Hang the Talestrian thieves!’ they shout. ‘String up the murdering swine!’

‘What’s going on? Who are these men?’ says Nathor. The innkeeper’s face turns white and he begins to tremble with fear.

‘I … I don’t rightly know,’ he stammers. ‘I ain’t never seen ’em before. They’s not from these parts. We’ve never had no quarrel with Talestria. You’ve always been our friends.’

Suddenly a chunk of cobblestone smashes through a window and an angry cry arises from the mob:

‘Come out, you Talestrian dogs. Come out or we’ll burn you out!’
Nathor calls everyone to the rear of the inn where a passage leads directly to the stables.

‘I fear this is some kind of crude ploy to murder you, Grand Master,’ he says. ‘If you are to stand any chance of reaching your homeland, you must continue your journey at once. I and my men will do what we can to hold this mob at bay, but you must leave now and you must go alone.’
Another window shatters and a burning brand is hurled into the inn.
‘Very well,’ you reply, uneasily. ‘I shall leave at once.’

(My guides always die )

After bidding a hurried farewell to the Lord Constable and his men, you take a fresh horse and leave the inn by a door at the rear of the stables. Some of the mob have gathered in an adjoining alleyway, but aided by your Kai camouflage skills, you evade these bloodthirsty thugs with ease.
Keeping to the smaller alleys and passages, you make your way across Scade unseen and then head north towards the open plains. You ride all night, using your infravision to help guide your horse through the lush grasslands and keep watch for potential dangers. As the hours slip past you cannot help but think about Nathor and the men of his troop; they are risking their lives by staying behind as bait for the mob. You admire their courage and it strengthens your resolve to return home to Sommerlund. Should the Lord Constable and his men have to pay for your escape with their lives, then you are determined that their sacrifice shall not be a wasted one.

During your long night ride, unless you possess the Discipline of Grand Huntmastery you must eat a Meal or lose 3 ENDURANCE points.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote