View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 09:06 PM   #1051
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Blancanieves

A modern retelling of Snow White only this time there are six bullfighting dwarves, and Snow White is a matador. Yes, seriously. This is all told in a black and white silent film. The black and white color is matched in the cold harsh repeatedly gut punching telling of the tale. The dwarves offer nearly all of the lighthearted nature that the film offers. The music changes throughout the film and is essentially never ending as it offers the film its voice. I almost kind of wished there were moments where it would pause to help aid in its impact. There is one plot line that gets started but never really develops far even though it is rather easy to see where it will go. Those and maybe some other minor issues I'm forgetting aside, this is definitely an under the radar film that's worth a watch. The story is familiar, but this is far from Disney. The characters are well developed and acted. Dialog is minimally written in text as the music and actors tell the tale vastly without words. I would put it in the 8ish range. I might not be against giving it a low 9.