View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 10:38 PM   #232
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Precamp Overview

We added quite a few undrafted free agents to the roster after the draft, and went into Training Camp with a full 70 player squad. I tweaked the training camp schedule a wee bit to get our new QB Kent Goodwin more playbook study time, but otherwise left the rest of it alone.

Important players we'll be keeping an eye on in camp:

QB Goodwin - He's going to be the player everyone keeps an eye on during camp - things have looked good for him since the draft (+4 future potential), and we're hopeful that we'll continue to see good things from him. His draft evaluation put him as a 21/54 player. He's now 21/58, and we're hoping for another nice bump.

QB Artie Wenke - Artie is one of those guys who just keeps getting better despite my constant neglect. He has shown improvement at every single developlment opportunity, growing from a 11/45 undrafted rookie FA to a 24/52 4th-year pro. He and Goodwin will be battling for the backup spot in camp.

C Casey Reeves - We're putting a lot of our O-line eggs in this guy's basket, as we've handed him the starting job the moment we traded for him. He's a 41/61 player, and he'll need to be a bit better than that to keep Hogan upright. Hopefully he'll have a good camp and develop rapidly (mentor C Hart should help there).

TE Colin Chandler - Our 5th round pick shows some promise (27/48) and we've had good luck developing TEs. We hope he'll continue that tradition.

FS Mike Mirer - Last year's 1st round pick will need to improve substantially if he is to unseat Kenneth Hartung. He still shows great promise and we think he'll be our long-term solution at free safety, but he might not get there this year.

LB Joseph Watford - Our scouts somehow noticed that Watford seemed to be aging a bit after the draft - which is curious, as Watford was nowhere near the team's facilities at the time they made their assessments. Regardless, they were able to determine that he's slowing down, and they dropped their rating of him from 75/80 to 67/72. Hopefully his slide will stop there, but I'm bracing for the worst.

Last edited by Fonzie : 04-21-2006 at 10:38 PM.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote