View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I did some brief research into for Christmas. I know Keurig and Tassimo. There may be others as well but those seem to be the most prevalent.

K-cups are seemingly more ubiquitous and with a wider selection. I've tried them and find them satisfactory. My experience is that you have to use the right cup size, even though you can choose different sizes with each use. For example, my experience is that you have to choose the small cup to get the proper flavor -- otherwise the drink is much too watered down. A large cup will taste horrible but the small cups taste pretty good. The drawback is that you're pretty much paying a $1 a cup.

Other companies do make coffee for the K-cups. Target has a suprising selection, as does Bed, Bath and Beyond. You can also order cups online. I have a friend in KC who owns a coffee company and you can order from them as well if you buy in some quantities.

The upside to the Tassimo is that you could make coffee drinks with milk. The Tassimo uses discs and they have a frothy milk disc for making cappuchinos, lattes, hot chocolate and whatnot. If I got one, this is the one I would get for the flexibility.

What held me back is that Tassimo discs are not nearly as ubiquitous as the K-cups. Tassimo is a proprietary invention of Kraft Foods, and to my knowledge Kraft is the only one making discs for the machine. I'm figuring Tassimo is the HD-DVD and Betamax of one-cup brewing systems -- probably a superior product but will lose out in the marketplace.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote