View Single Post
Old 02-16-2020, 08:54 AM   #19312
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I get being able to pick private schools, but you can select from 3 public middle schools? I know there are exceptions but thought for the most part its based on where you live?
We could select from a ton more than that if we wanted. I haven't bothered to count, but there are well over a dozen public school options for us. There are so many options here that the school system holds a "school choice expo" every year at the Greensboro Coliseum to help people be aware of what's available. The middle school that our neighborhood is zoned for is roughly top-3 in the county, among non-choice schools, so we're ignoring all the charter and magnet options that are lotteries, and just focusing on...

a. the 'academic excellence' magnet that just accepts the top 75ish kids each year based on grades and test scores. (No lottery, and as mentioned above, it's considered one of the top tiny handful of public middle schools in the state.)
b. the private school near us
c. the school we're zoned for

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 02-16-2020 at 11:14 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote