View Single Post
Old 06-07-2022, 07:40 AM   #53
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, so I'm way behind on my tennis updates. Though there hasn't been much joy to report.

Bear and I followed up our loss to the "sandbagging" team, with a tight 3 set loss. We won the first set 6-3, then lost 4-6, 4-6.

I also played a tight 3 set ALTA senior mens match on Friday and we lost that one 6-3, 4-6, 5-7, and as you might guess these matches played out very similarly.

In both cases, we had a bunch of long points, and we made some fantastic shots. However, we unfortunately couldn't win enough of the crucial points, and quite frankly that was mostly my fault. My shoulder has been very tinder recently, and because of that I haven't been practicing my serve, which has led to very inconsistent results in matches. Add to that poor play late in matches, almost certainly due to fatigue, and you can see how my play has hindered our results. It's interesting, the poor play late has been more focus related. For some reason, late in matches I've running stuff down, but when I get to the ball, I don't make a good stroke. I've got to bear down a bit mentally to try and get out of this cycle of losing my concentration late.

Happy to report, that Bear has been playing way above what I thought he'd be capable of. His ground strokes are great, and when he gets himself in the right position, his net play is very good. He needs to work on angles when he up, but he get's his racquet on the ball consistently, even when they challenge him (young reflexes).
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote