View Single Post
Old 12-26-2020, 08:58 AM   #431
MIJB#19
Coordinator

General Manager Notes: Training Camp 2095 is coming

Okay, usually the post-draft pre-training camp free agency is the phase where we pick up a couple of undrafted rookie free agents that eventually make the 53-men roster. We picked up 5 training camp bodies, but I'm very cautious, I suspect some won't even make our pre-season roster and none make the regular season roster. QB Shaquille Trenery might have the best odds as a potential new kick holder. RB Edwin Harlow is a breakaway speed guy, with some [apparently hidden] special teams ability. RB Derek Finch has hole recognition. G Vince Henselman was on our shortlist in the draft for the late rond picks, he's a strong run blocker. K Tracy O'Neal was signed to challenge McMullen, he'll make the pre-season roster just in case McMullen is indeed over the hill.

Other news? The defensive coordinator is optimistic about our top two rookies. CB Ernie Grant is considered top5 in the league in potential. He'll be asked to trim down in weight a bit to fit with the new position. DE Richie Piotte will be asked to gain weight. Both players are on our staff's green page, that list of the top20 most promising youngsters. How about that for a mid-round first and second round pick.

I was very worried about our playbook, but after looking at it, there's little reason to make changes. Apparently we were unintentionally prepared to a switch to a West Coast offense. We'll see how that goes in pre-season.

That all said, training camp will see us go in there with 64 players signed, including injured Doug James. We have 5 QB, 6 RB, 2 FB, 4 TE, 7 WR, 9 OL, 2 P, 2 K, 9 DL, 6 LB, 7 CB, 4 S and 1 LS. I think it's safe to say we'll be trimming down at QB and RB right after camp and the final cut before pre-season will be based on which other youngster will make no progress.

Stay tuned, to be continued?
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote